Jotul F500 Rusted Bolt Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nkihn87

Oct 11, 2018
Michigan
Hello,

Currently in the final stages of rehabbing an F500 and looking for advice on a rusty bolt in the rear. Is this particular piece of the stove threaded? Do I:

- Leave it alone for now?
- Drill it out? I can’t get a socket on it as is.
- If yes, does it have to be retapped and should it be done a size up?

Thank you!

Jotul F500 Rusted Bolt Advice Jotul F500 Rusted Bolt Advice

Drill it out. The nut on the outside leads me to
believe that there are not threads in the hole.
If there were, the nut would not be necessary.

I'm not sure what you are asking- the first picture the upper bolt to the right that is a bolt and nut that holds on the flue outlet.
The 2nd picture, that is a bolt that goes into the secondary manifold to hold the manifold in place, that is a screw. Be careful not to break it off, it would need to be redrilled and tapped. If you are talking about the left side bolt coming out of stove, believe that to be the rear heat shield bolt, not sure what that's attached to on inside of stove. WD40 or pb blaster is good for breaking loose older screws/bolts.

Jotul F500 Rusted Bolt Advice

Thank you both. I’ve highlighted the bolt head - Hard to see because it’s so far gone. Hoping Dasky is right and it’s not threaded due to presence of nut on the exterior.

Oh that bolt- sorry. I'm assuming drill it out and replace yes.

If you do need to drill it, buy some left handed drill bits preferably cobalt. Amazon has them. Worth every penny. Definitely go through the heat up and apply penetrating oil and tap then wait a few times. About half the time with left handed bits the drilling will break the threads loose.

K wait, WHY are we removing this bolt exactly? It's prolly not necessary to recement the secondary feed manifold really...

...but this is a bolt with a nut on the other end, back of stove. Just cut it off w grinder or sawzall, yeah? It's 6mmX1, but replace w 1/4-20 is easier.