Jotul f55 v1 vs v2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
I'm thinking the f55 is going to be my next stove. Just wondering what the major differences are from the v1 to the v2. I have a couple leads on a new v2 or a good deal on a used v1 in a great condition at almost half price. Please help with any suggestions

I believe they added turbulators on top of the baffle for more complete combustion.

I think there is also some insulation on the top of the baffle also on the V2. I have what I guess is a V1. I guess I’ve had it 7 or 8 years. Pretty sure I bought it the first year they came out. I really like the stove. At half price if lightly used I might go for it. However check the cast iron top of the stove towards the outside right in the middle. I’ve had two different ones crack. You almost can’t see the crack when the stove is cold. Ideally you would take the top of and inspect it from underneath. It’s two bolts and it lifts right off. Mine were Replaced under warranty. I think they crack because of a design flaw. They used the same casting for the top loader which is now discontinued, and there is a rectangular cutout where some mechanism goes on that stove. It cracks right from the corner Of this cutout. generally a bad idea to have a sharp right angle corner on a casting that sees high heat.
Other than that the stove had been solid.

Yeah I really like the looks of the f55, I think I'm gonna go for the new one. You never know how a used stove was treated. I'm not going to be burning nearly as much wood as I used to maybe a cord and a half two max so this stove will probably last as long as i need it to. I really like the pacfic energy stoves but the jotul is a much better value in my opinion

Reactions: Todd
Yeah I really like the looks of the f55, I think I'm gonna go for the new one. You never know how a used stove was treated. I'm not going to be burning nearly as much wood as I used to maybe a cord and a half two max so this stove will probably last as long as i need it to. I really like the pacfic energy stoves but the jotul is a much better value in my opinion
Read the manual on how to take the top off of you can’t disconnect the stove pipe and collect sweepings before they fall into stove.

I really like the alderlea t6 but I can't justify the extra 1400 dollars
For a 3 cu fit stove id I’d pay 600 more. 200 for the swing out trivets. 200 more for the simple baffle system PE uses.

We all have budgets we have to stick to but the 70$ a year more (over 20 years) is all the justification I would need.

Ebs-p your right I do like the baffle systems on the pacfic energy stoves it is very robust. The size of the box is also appealing but it's pretty a matter of a couple sticks of wood difference. I'm going to the shop Saturday to take another look at em. I know the summit le and the t6 are on back order at the moment I believe. I can get a good deal on the f55 right now

Reactions: EbS-P
I didn’t think the PE’s were so much more? My neighbor recently bought a PE Super for $2800-$3000 range the F45 was $200-300 less I believe. Anyway I don’t think you can go wrong with an F55.

Wow! I love the looks of those Alderlea’s but yeah I couldn’t pull the trigger for that price.

What is the EPA volume on the T6. f55 is 2.7 cu ft.