Jotul F602 V2 vs Hearthstone Lincoln for Small Space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PiedmontBurner

Oct 6, 2023
Virginia
Shot version: Jotul F602 V2 vs Hearthstone Lincoln - which is better?

Full version: Please help me choose between the Jotul F602 V2 and the Hearthstone Lincoln. I'm definitely leaning towards the Jotul as you can see below and you might think I've already answered my own question, but I'm genuinely open to the Lincoln and carefully considering my options. I appreciate all constructive opinions and advice. I'm pretty new to the world of wood burning. Thank you for your help.

The purpose here is to comfortably heat the finished side of my basement, which is 612 sqft (the purpose is NOT to heat anywhere else in the house). Also, in a power-out situation, it would serve as a cook top and our only source of heat as we all huddle down there. I have narrowed it down to these two stoves based on product quality and the fact that Jotul and Hearthstone are the only two brands that my preferred dealer/installer carries (and he's definitely the guy I want to use). I guess you can mention other products if you want, but I really have already spent tons of time looking at everything on the market (including seeing many products in person) and am not inclined to reverse course at this point.

Other than the Lincoln having an 18" log capacity (realistically more like 17-1/2" max, and Hearthstone *recommends* 16") compared to a tight 16" capacity for the Jotul and allegedly a more "gentle" heat given it's soapstone box, the Jotul more strongly appeals to me given its track record for quality, simplicity, durability, reliability and longevity. The Lincoln does have a cat, which I'm indifferent about since I could use it if I want or just leave it in bypass mode or maybe even just remove it. The Lincoln costs $500 more, but it also yields a tax credit unlike the Jotul.

Some more relevant details.
- Location is northern Virginia. Winters are relatively moderate.

- The finished basement area has no windows or exterior doors, but it does have doors/open passages to the upstairs and the unfinished basement side (which both have windows and exterior doors), so that would be my way to let out excess heat. From comparing the specs of the two stoves, excess heat seems to be more of a concern with the Jotul than the Lincoln.

- I don't expect to often burn 24/7. Rather, it's for stints of hours when we're in the basement for movie time or other activities, or huddled down there during a long power outage. So, if the soapstone takes an hour to heat up, that could be a problem (but maybe the Lincoln doesn't take that long to heat up given its small size...?); and the lingering heat of the soapstone is not an attraction in our case since we'd usually be out of the basement by the time the fire dies out anyhow.

- While I'm gearing up to process my own firewood and can then cut to any size I want, for this and the next season or so I will be purchasing firewood. Suppliers in my area generally cut 16-18". So, for any firewood that's too long, I'd have to shorten it myself.

I'd go for the simpler Jotul or a Morso 2b. There are some concerns with the Lincoln design in the Hearthstone sub-forum.

Reactions: Todd
Yeah I like my 602 in my workshop. It heats up fast and is easy to run. I looked at the Lincoln and didn’t like the catalyst placement right under the flue.

Yeah I like my 602 in my workshop. It heats up fast and is easy to run. I looked at the Lincoln and didn’t like the catalyst placement right under the flue.
Thank you Todd. Am I correct that the 602 does not use firebrick? I don't understand why some stoves (e.g., Morso 2B) use firebrick but the 602 does not.

I'd go for the simpler Jotul or a Morso 2b. There are some concerns with the Lincoln design in the Hearthstone sub-forum.
Thanks. I did also strongly consider the 2B...even drove an hour to see one. The main (only) pro to me is that it has an 18" log capacity. Going that way, I'd have to find a way to purchase the stove a la carte and then have my preferred installer install it for me, and even then I would not have product support from my preferred guy. I was able to see the 2B Classic in person, unfortunately the Standard was not available to see. The Classic is definitely not for me...the radiator on top makes the cooktop inaccessible, and the ashtray and extra door are unnecessary and added maintenance/failure points IMO. The Standard does not have those issues. Also, the manufacturing quality of the Morso did not seem as good as the Jotul IMO...specifically, the circular damper feels cheap and unprecise, and the door handle is covered in some sort of shiny plastic material.

Additionally, the 2B uses firebrick, which is custom cut, so I'd need to order it from Morso if it ever needs replacing. Compared to that, the 602 does not use firebrick at all as far I know from seeing it in person and researching it. I still don't understand how/why the 602 does not use firebrick...

Both stoves have internal protection of the sides to prevent cracking and burnout of the castiron. The Jotul uses expendable burn plates instead of firebrick. The advantage of the Morso is that it qualifies for the 25C tax credit.

Both stoves have internal protection of the sides to prevent cracking and burnout of the castiron. The Jotul uses expendable burn plates instead of firebrick. The advantage of the Morso is that it qualifies for the 25C tax credit.
Thank you for explaining. Do you have any knowledge as to to the life expectancy of the Jotul 602 burn plates?

That really depends on how the stove is run. I would expect 15-20 yrs. with proper operation. Likewise for the Morso firebrick as long as logs aren't constantly slammed into them. I think they are Skamol panels.