Jotul Oslo Install Question - Flue Liner Connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slats

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2010
NE Ohio
Hello all. I was reading my Jotul Oslo install manual and I came across something confusing. In section 2.0 Chimney and Chimney Connector it states "... the chimney connector must be 6" in diameter, with a minimum thickness of 24 gauge black steel. Aluminum and Galvanized Steel pipe is not acceptable to use with the Jotul F 500. These materials cannot withstand the extreme temperatures of a wood fire and can give off toxic fumes when heated."
Now, i have a SS flexible liner system i purchased for my previous stove. The SS liner system (including connections) are UL 1777. The liner manual states "...are intended for use with heating appliances burning home heating oil, category I appliances burning natural or propane gas, and solid fuels such as pellet, wood, and coal vented through a masonry chimney."
Additional Info: Its a 316Ti liner, insulated, and runs the entire length of a ~25' chimney.

I am not sure how to interpret that statement from Jotul stating the connector, in this case I have a "T" connector connecting the Flue Connector to the liner, be black steel. My T-connector that shipped with the SS Liner system is not black steel. But, according to the liner manual a wood stove is an approved appliance. Anyone have any input to this?

The docs can be a bit confusing here. They are establishing are minimums. If you are using a proper stainless, solid fuel connector and tee, that are rated UL 1777, then you have exceeded the minimum specs.

thanks BeGreen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.