Jotul Oslo v3 secondary air cable seems to not move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cyclopsdiver

Jan 1, 2024
Montana
Looking at my newly installed stove, the cable for the secondary air is very slack, even at temp. I have not seen it tighten up and open the secondary air during the past few days of burning. I see no mention of this in the manual other than the part number in the blow up. Is this something that can be adjusted and a procedure for that?

At what temps should this be activating and opening?

Which item number on the diagram is this?

Which item number on the diagram is this?
9. Bimetallic Coil Assembly, F 500 V3 ......158178

Everything looks as it should, but I don't think I fully understand if it should be open or closed when the stove is hot or cold. It seems the cable stays slack and does not activate the secondary air inlet cover in any state.

Page 10 states:
Secondary air is automatically regulated to promote combustion of volatile gas that would otherwise be exhausted to the atmosphere unburned. The secondary air inlet is located at the back of the stove where a temperature-sensitive bimetal coil continuously varies the volume of air introduced to fire.

Secondary air is always available to the secondary combustion baffle and the catalytic combustor. The automatic control valve functions to provide the appropriate amount of secondary air relative to maintaining optimal clean combustion.

Thanks, I didn't realize that the operation for this was visible. I would expect it to open when hottest. @webby3650 have you observed the secondary bimetallic in operation?

Yes the cable is quite exposed, and you can see the little damper easily with a flashlight. Can also see the coil from the top of the cover through some slots and its set screw. The exposed cable has me worried that it might have been snagged during transport or install, but I cannot find any documentation on adjustment or proper orientation/operation. I can reach out to the dealer however I don't imagine they will be helpful as it was a self install and it took them over 6 weeks to order the wrong increaser for my venting. I am more than capable of performing any adjustment, but I have no reference to how it should be set.

PXL_20240101_190413045.jpg

Thanks for the picture, that's helpful. I would think that there would be no slack when the stove is cold, but that is just a guess.

@webby3650 is an installer and it trialing this stove this season. He may be able to get you this info faster.

Quick update, got the stove cooled down and removed the cover, the set screw for the coil assembly was completely loose, so it cannot exert any force on the cable. If anybody could share a photo of how their coil is clocked or if @webby3650 sees this I would be very grateful! Seems that the secondary air should be open when cold and drop down when the coil heats up and expands from looking at it.

Standing by with an allen key!

Quick update, got the stove cooled down and removed the cover, the set screw for the coil assembly was completely loose, so it cannot exert any force on the cable. If anybody could share a photo of how their coil is clocked or if @webby3650 sees this I would be very grateful! Seems that the secondary air should be open when cold and drop down when the coil heats up and expands from looking at it.

Standing by with an allen key!
Mine is wide open when the stove is hot.