Jotul resource guide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

D. Hermit

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2020
NeK Vermont
Really cool vintage catalogue/resource guide that Krista Associates (orginal US importer of Jotul) put out in the 70s. Super detailed info on all the models they imported back then. Even the rare ones. All the testing graphs, info on who did the reliefs. And some very interesting tips and facts about woodstove safety. This is a 77 copy I got off ebay. Its about the closest thing ive found to a manual for my Lumberjack 380.

Attachments

• jotul a resource book on the art of heating with wood part 1.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 517
  • jotul a resource book on the art of heating with wood part 2.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 322
Reactions: stufus and begreen
Great find. It has the only reference to the Jotul 404 coal capability, I have seen. I also find the discussion of how many wood stoves can be hooked up to the same flue interesting. I will need to spend a lot more time going over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: D. Hermit
Great find. It has the only reference to the Jotul 404 coal capability. I also find the discussion of how many wood stoves can be hooked up to the same flue interesting. I will need to spend a lot more time going over it.
Yea alot of the safety info is very dated ha. But its got some cool facts for sure. And I really like the “20 things more dangerous than a wood stove” page ha

I was looking at the tables. A Jotul 606 which is the same footprint as a 602 had 46,000 btu peak output compared to 27,000 for the 602. The thing that really sticks out is how much more efficient that the 606 was.

It was a much smaller footprint than a combifire with the same peak output.

Then again reading the wood section about letting the wood dry at least 6 months meant that someone following that recommendation would be burning what we today would consider damp wood. 606s had the reputation of being major producers of creosote to the point where they stopped selling them in the US. It would be interesting to see how mine would run with 2 year old firewood.

Last edited:
Reactions: D. Hermit
I was looking at the tables. A Jotul 606 which is the same footprint as a 602 had 46,000 btu peak output compared to 27,000 for the 602. The thing that really sticks out is how much more efficient that the 606 was.

It was a much smaller footprint than a combifire with the same peak output.

Then again reading the wood section about letting the wood dry at least 6 months meant that someone following that recommendation would be burning what we today would consider damp wood. 606s had the reputation of being major producers of creosote to the point where they stopped selling them in the US. It would be interesting to see how mine would run with 2 year old firewood.
I find it interesting how they classify the 380 as a cooking stove, no graphs for it or the 404, im assuming because they were not ment to heat with, only cook. Which would make sense with the how the firebox for the 380 is designed with the burn plates are the inner firebox walls. I feel like that wouldnt hold up to 24/7 heat all winter.

Thanks so much for posting this. Within my family, we have three Jotul 118s (in different houses / a cabin). We all found this fascinating to read and have always wondered about the heating efficiency of the 118 (the wood consumption / heat ratio has always amazed us for an older stove). Lots of fascinating info in those pages.

Thanks again!