Joyously burning oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in my area in PA, we are roughly $.07/Kwh. I personally have a time of day meter and pay peak and non-peak rates, during the evening and weekends we pay $.04 at most and during the day we pay the $.07.
Since you are quoting the off-peak and on-peak rates, I would imagine you are not including all the fees, supply charges, and misc. BS that gets tacked on. My 9cents is bottom line > total bill divided by Kwh used. You can't do that with on and off peak setups.

Moey beat me to it!

I'll probably never even get cable/broadband, never mind natural gas.
No street gas, no cable,no DSL, no cell service and I am in a small town in Massachusetts.

20¢/KWH here, including delivery, etc.

I think you should subtract the fixed monthly charges out, since you would incur them no matter how many kwh you use.

Those charges still figure into the overall cost. Around here they are based on usage, also, so as usage goes up, the so-called "fixed" charges go up. We're getting *****.

I'm just saying, take out the charges that aren't dependent on useage. Say, if you used no kwh at all for the month, what would the charge be?

I understand. Looking at my bill, there are 5 charges, each multiplied by the KWH usage. So, if the usage was zero, I would assume the charges would also be zero.

All of these charges appear to be the product of fee times usage. I see no fixed charges on my bill.

There is a minimum charge for usage, even if I do use zero; I don't know what it is, so I assume there would also be minimum delivery charge.

These charges made up 53.4% of last month's bill, more for delivery than the juice itself. They claim a generation charge of $0.0923.

Looking at my bill, I have $15.11 fixed charge. So, my bill for January was 94.63 for 615 kwh. 94.63-15.11=79.52. 79.52/615=.129/kwh.

No street gas, no cable,no DSL, no cell service and I am in a small town in Massachusetts.
Sounds like you are 'Under the Dome'!!!

Looking at my bill, I have $15.11 fixed charge. So, my bill for January was 94.63 for 615 kwh. 94.63-15.11=79.52. 79.52/615=.129/kwh.
That 'fixed charge' is part of your cost per kwh, but it just varies as a % of your unit cost as the volume varies. It HAS to be included. $.154/Kwh is the real cost.

That 'fixed charge' is part of your cost per kwh, but it just varies as a % of your unit cost as the volume varies. It HAS to be included. $.154/Kwh is the real cost.
Wrong. My September of 2013 bill where I used 424 kwh had a $15.11 basic service charge as well. It's the same every month no matter what the usage. It's just the way it's done in NY. :)

My point is, I can be a frugal as all get out, but I'll always have that basic charge so I don't think it should be included when doing these cost savings what-ifs.

Wrong. My September of 2013 bill where I used 424 kwh had a $15.11 basic service charge as well. It's the same every month no matter what the usage. It's just the way it's done in NY. :)

My point is, I can be a frugal as all get out, but I'll always have that basic charge so I don't think it should be included when doing these cost savings what-ifs.
Wrong! If you want to know what it costs you to use a Kwh of energy, you HAVE to include EVERYTHING you PAY for that energy. If you don't, then you're saying you just p*ss away $15.11 to the gods of electricity for nothing. It's still coming out of your pocket. If you use just one Kwh of energy next month, then your cost per Kwh will be $15.11, no $0.00.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey

My bill was $98 for 497KWH. Your electricity appears to cost less than ours overall.

Yeah, while they ban the nukes, coal plants, and next the gas plants, we'll be sitting in the dark most nights.

Yeah, because demand side management/pricing will have given us the 'proper price signals' to do just that.
Gives you the impression that quality of life isn't improving with passage of time.

Yeah, while they ban the nukes, coal plants, and next the gas plants, we'll be sitting in the dark most nights.
Think 'kerosene'. :)
'Your electricity rates will necessarily skyrocket'..........'Hope and Change'............... 'Fundamentally transform the United States'.........'Vote for me'......

Reactions: wsar10
Status
Not open for further replies.