Junk pellets in a king 5500M

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mac1972

Nov 24, 2022
South central pa
Would anyone have a c code list to get heat from junk pellets in the 5500m. It seams as if I’m just burning for the looks not the heat lol but really need the heat. Looking for possible draft fan to load setting to try and get heat with out the pellets over flowing constantly

Welcome to the forum
If the pellets overflow the burn pot the stove
is most likely dirty (plugged with ash). poor burning from lack of
combustion air

Reactions: thewoodlands
Welcome to the forum
If the pellets overflow the burn pot the stove
is most likely dirty (plugged with ash). poor burning from lack of
combustion air
The stove was just cleaned for the 5th time in 2 weeks how do I get more combustible air. And what would be plugged

Search leaf blower trick
Do you have a OAK
Is your home a new or fairly new build (airtight)
What type of pellets ?
When we say clean it means from air intake to exhaust termination
Pellet stoves tend to have ash traps that are hard to clean
Do you have a manual?
If not here is one see page 18

If your asking which c code then the answer is C4 and C5 is your asking for a setting then the answer is each 5500 burns a little different if it burns well on HR1 then I wouldn't change C4 default is 150 if it burns poorly on HR1 then you can raise the setting. I would change the C5 setting it will change HR2 thru HR9 proportionally (or HR5 if you have 5 level board) and it will not change HR1 draft. Increase the board by 10 wait 20 minutes if still burning poorly raise it again wait 20 minutes. Keep notes so you do not forget what setting works.

5500M C Codes
To adjust the operation constants, press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons simultaneously
for 3 seconds. The display will show “C-1”. Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT RANGE DOWN buttons to
change the constant number (see the list of vales below). When the desired constant is displayed, press
the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value. While editing a parameter, use the AUX
again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF button to exit the operational constants
mode.

 C4- Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9.
The default is 150
 C5- Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9.
The default is 350.

Attachments

• usstove tech manual 5500M & 5500XL King ABC & 4 Digit Boards.pdf
    911.5 KB · Views: 32
An overflowing burn pot is an airflow issue 90% of the time. Just cleaning the stove is not enough. The entire exhaust path needs cleaned too. I learned this through experience with my USSC 6500. I now use a leaf blower to cleanout the exhaust venting as well as disassembling everything in the stove burn area to vacuum out. Not sure how the 5500 is built, but my 6500 had 2 small sliding access doors at the bottom back of the burn area that I needed to remove to clean it.

If it is still not burning pellets well after all this, you can look at adjusting the draft fan speed and the pellet feed speed. The factory pellet feed settings on my 6500 were WAY out of whack. SO bad that there was no way it would burn right.

Tweaked some thing and now have had worry free burning for the past 3 winters.

Reactions: ARC