Just installed MF Fire Nova insert and don’t like the look. Help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blackdiamond

Nov 14, 2022
Colorado
Hi everyone. Brand new here and just installed a nova insert in my fireplace.

1st off according to my installer there was no way to put the blower in due to size restrictions. How much efficiency am I losing and can anyone think of how I can get a blower in the space?

Second, it doesn’t look good. I didn’t know what I was getting into but the rock is burned around from years of smoke and it has an unfinished look to it.

What can be done here to remedy either of these issues. Before I put more money into the project I need a better idea of what my options are.

After a couple of uses of the insert it can heat up my large room pretty good. My old fireplace never could heat the room.

A658E1EA-2BA4-4500-846D-4F4C2422E362.jpeg 07B00FA8-CD59-433D-82C0-EBE6AE45AD44.jpeg DA49AFD3-3ABA-4BDF-85C8-699184BF7A0C.jpeg

Hopefully, a block-off plate was installed in the damper area. That will keep a lot more heat in the house. After that, a custom surround could be made that fits just inside of the fireplace opening for a more finished look. It could be made of expanded metal mesh to maintain the heat exchange into the house or out of 20 ga metal painted black.

Which model Nova is this. I thought the blower was standard, but could be wrong.

Hopefully, a block-off plate was installed in the damper area. That will keep a lot more heat in the house. After that, a custom surround could be made that fits just inside of the fireplace opening for a more finished look. It could be made of expanded metal mesh to maintain the heat exchange into the house or out of 20 ga metal painted black.

Which model Nova is this. I thought the blower was standard, but could be wrong.
There is no block off plate or anything above the stove that I can see. When I look above it just leads to chimney.

If I were to make a surround, would I lose access to the catalytic combusted bypass. Which I don’t think I know what that does anyway.

It’s the Nova 1 the smaller of the nova stoves and the fan is not standard. It is an add on but requires some clearance which I have been told I don’t have. Thanks for responding !!

Is the fireplace on an exterior wall? To get the maximum heat out of this stove there should be a block-off plate in the damper area that surrounds the stainless liner. I'm confused by the installer's comments. The blower should be installed, I thought it was standard on the stove.

Please read the manual. Operation of the bypass is critical to the proper operation of this stove. It must be open until the catalyst reaches proper operating temperature.

Bypass
Nova is equipped with a bypass lever for the catalytic combustor. The bypass handled is located on the right side of the stove and should be operated with the included fall-away handle. When not used, the fall-away handle can be stored on the rear of the unit. The bypass should always be opened prior to opening the front-loading door. After loading or reloading your stove with wood, the bypass should remain open until the thermometer provided reads “ENGAGE CATALYST”. The normal closed position is when the bypass lever is to the rear of the stove.

Reloading
When reloading, if there is a large coal bed (glowing red coals, covering the entire bottom, at least an inch deep), there is no need to use kindling or newspaper. To reload, open the bypass, wait 10-15 seconds for the exhaust gases to re-stabilize, and slowly open the front door. Fill the firebox chamber with logs, taking care not to stack the logs too close or touching the front door glass. Then simply shut the door and walk away. Close the bypass when the provided thermometer reads “ENGAGE CATALYST”.

The insert version of the Nova has a special linkage that brings the bypass operating handle forward to the surround so that it can be easily operated with the surround in place.

Is the fireplace on an exterior wall? To get the maximum heat out of this stove there should be a block-off plate in the damper area that surrounds the stainless liner. I'm confused by the installer's comments. The blower should be installed, I thought it was standard on the stove.

Please read the manual. Operation of the bypass is critical to the proper operation of this stove. It must be open until the catalyst reaches proper operating temperature.

Bypass
Nova is equipped with a bypass lever for the catalytic combustor. The bypass handled is located on the right side of the stove and should be operated with the included fall-away handle. When not used, the fall-away handle can be stored on the rear of the unit. The bypass should always be opened prior to opening the front-loading door. After loading or reloading your stove with wood, the bypass should remain open until the thermometer provided reads “ENGAGE CATALYST”. The normal closed position is when the bypass lever is to the rear of the stove.

Reloading
When reloading, if there is a large coal bed (glowing red coals, covering the entire bottom, at least an inch deep), there is no need to use kindling or newspaper. To reload, open the bypass, wait 10-15 seconds for the exhaust gases to re-stabilize, and slowly open the front door. Fill the firebox chamber with logs, taking care not to stack the logs too close or touching the front door glass. Then simply shut the door and walk away. Close the bypass when the provided thermometer reads “ENGAGE CATALYST”.
Yes the fireplace is against the wall. The blower is definitely an add on and doesn't need to be installed. There is just not enough room according to my installer. I'll make note of the bypass lever and make sure that whatever surround is used we still keep access.

Thanks!

The difference between blower and no blower is big

Yes the fireplace is against the wall. The blower is definitely an add on and doesn't need to be installed. There is just not enough room according to my installer. I'll make note of the bypass lever and make sure that whatever surround is used we still keep access.

Thanks!
Did you buy the Nova freestanding stove or their insert model? The Nova insert needs to be installed with their surround kit which comes with the required linkage.

Reactions: EbS-P
Did you buy the Nova freestanding stove or their insert model? The Nova insert needs to be installed with their surround kit which comes with the required linkage.
I bought the insert model. I think I am going to buy their surround kit. Good to know it comes with the linkage.

It still heats up the home well enough, and I think with the top blockage piece I should be good to go.

The manual shows a side view of the bypass control extension for the insert on page 16.

It really needs the blower with the surround attached. Otherwise, the heat will be trapped behind the surround. What specifically is the issue? Is the fireplace not tall enough to clear the blower duct? What is the lintel height of the fireplace? Without the blower, I would not add a solid surround, and would only do the blockoff plate.

Last edited: