just installed window shades

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Put up some Cooleroo (Australian-made) window shades that I bought a few years ago at an end-of-season sale and tossed up on a garage shelf. Haven't needed it until now, but this summer is shaping up as a cooker.

I have four windows in my sun room, and this week it's been too hot to do much of anything down there. These are thin enough to see out of (sort of) but manage to block most of the UV rays and a lot of the heat. Couldn't believe the difference it made--spent time relaxing in that room today because the tile floor retained the coolness from the night--breeze running through there--felt like I was on a shady verandah. Nice to be able to go out and get some work done knowing there's a cool retreat awaiting.

I wouldn't know unless I go into the greenhouse to feel some real warmth. :mad:

I have those same shades in my sunroom....(got a super good deal on them too)...I get the afternoon sun and it gets really hot in there....those shades rock though....like you said just enough to kinda see out but really keeps the room cool....My next project in the sunroom is to get some type of shades for the 3 skylights.....they are nice but a pain in the butt during certain times of the day....when I sit my butt in my papason chair that sun shines right in my face. :shut: ..would like similar shades for them and it would be cool to be able to control them by a remote but I don't know...it would be expensive because they are pretty large skylights....

I've got a bay window that I'm trying to figure out how to shade now. Picture window across the front, angled sides have crank-open windows, out of which I'll have to lean to do the install, lacking a ladder that tall. I have a sign up on my office wall that says, "This is a very interesting problem, one that can give many hours of amusement, depending upon how you define amusement . . . " Thus it is with these home improvement projects--I wrestle with a problem for awhile, then the aha! moment hits, and it all comes together.

On the surface, blinds over skylights would seem to contradict their purpose--but the same could be said of windowshades. I know that interior venetian blinds are available, but I assume you'd rather avoid that look, and they wouldn't keep out as much heat as exterior shades. I suppose until you find the answer there are always the other kind of shades: :coolsmile:

This might provide you with a temporary solution until you can get the remote-controlled shades of your dreams:
http://www.shadeskylight.com/index.html

One of my maybe-someday projects/problems I have simmering on a back burner is skylight-related. I have a skylight in my bathroom that was sealed over by PO--not because it leaked, but because in the winter the condensation was such that it iced up badly and snowed down on whoever was bathing. My woodstove has gone a long way towards eliminating condensation, so I am playing with the idea of opening it back up. What would be ideal, I think, is some kind of seasonal access to the skylight. What happens when yours gets covered with snow? Do you still have a filtered light come through?

That sign is freakin awesome snowlep...perfect for the husband...gonna make one of those suckers and put it on the mancave wall....the many hours of amusement is for me because whenever he thinks something is gonna be easy it all falls to chit and I laugh my arse off....he not so much....happened again yesterday..... :lol:
The shade for the large bay window will be a challenge....don't have one but would like to....have an aunt that has remote hunter douglas honeycomb shades that she keeps open all the way during the day and close completely at nite...then again she has nothing else better to do with her money...god knows what they set her back....
I have actually considered those covers for the skylights...priced them...thought they would be great for summer months.....think I will prolly just measure and order them.....they are for the womancave anyways so what does he care anyway...(yeah he got the mancave back now since the stove is off and located there....I have no use to be in there.....back to womancave...)
I would just wear my sunglasses but I go through about a pair every 2 weeks because I have a tendency to sit or step on them...maybes need a pair of those cataract sunglasses my dad has...bet they are Gamma proof....
The skylights I have are the domed ones...(the room used to be a porch and the elderly couple had their 2 rockers under 2 of the skylights..I know how cute)....so when it snows heavy, not much light comes through until it starts to melt some....you should look into utilizing those skylights in your bathroom.....I wish I knew a solution to the problem with them....maybe one of the fellow burners here might have a solution....

Status
Not open for further replies.