Just Wondering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
Has anyone vinyl-ed their older homes,and found a difference in the way their stove heats their home? I was just wondering if there was any difference.

Anthony, I wouldn't expect much of a difference unless a decent layer of foam was used as a base for the vinyl siding.

As wet1 mentioned, it won't make much difference unless there is foam
or housewrap underneath the siding.

EDIT: good windows and lots of insulation are more important
to stop the heat loss

We noticed change. This house was "build" for electric heat according to 1975 standards. When we had the house resided, we found out that the house hadn't been wrapped. So with the wrapping and thin layer of foam, we used a little over 200-300 gallons less than we had prior to having the new siding. We did a few other things, like storm windows on the thermopanes, and insulating drapes. This is our first year heating with pellets. We have used 3.5 tons of pellets and about 200 gallons of oil. We have our hot water from a seperate oil fired hot water heater. We have a forced hot air furnace. That doesn't seem to come on until the temp goes below 20.

save$ said:
We noticed change. This house was "build" for electric heat according to 1975 standards. When we had the house resided, we found out that the house hadn't been wrapped. So with the wrapping and thin layer of foam, we used a little over 200-300 gallons less than we had prior to having the new siding. We did a few other things, like storm windows on the thermopanes, and insulating drapes. This is our first year heating with pellets. We have used 3.5 tons of pellets and about 200 gallons of oil. We have our hot water from a seperate oil fired hot water heater. We have a forced hot air furnace. That doesn't seem to come on until the temp goes below 20.
I don't remember house wrap being on the market in '75. I also built a new home that year built to the same standards... no house wrap either.

you know, when we had the house built, I was much younger, more "trusting" and certainly more dependent on others. I was a young man with a new family about to discharged from the military. We contracted with a builder to put up the house on land 1000 ft. in from the road on lot we never had seen. We were in Minnesota. We were building in Maine. That electric heat only was used two winters before we put in our first wood stove. No real regrets. Lot of living and learning done. Today, I couldn't imagine a contractor trying to pass this home off as suitable for eclectic heat. I have no idea when "house wrap" came in as a standard, but I am sure glad it did. Our home is easier to heat and is more comfortable. Also glad to have that darm masonite siding off that was sold to me as "lasting a lifetime" So far, the vinyl is holding up better, easier to wash, and looks good.

WOODNUT358 said:
Has anyone vinyl-ed their older homes,and found a difference in the way their stove heats their home? I was just wondering if there was any difference.

we found it changed our fuel consumption noticebly..our house is going on 120yrs.....no more drafts from the winds hitting the house and the house was noticebly quieter..we were able to lower the temp of the stove..but like everyone is saying Put some foam under that vinyl not for the R-value but for the protection value..plus it gives the vinyl something flat to lay against for nailing...
PLUS..it'll cover any holes you have that wind might get through...

Status
Not open for further replies.