Killing our planet with plastics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm a big believer in PLA. I think it could be a very versatile plastic, with the ability to be recycled and is compostable. PLA is derived from lactic acid, which can be derived from plant starches, making feedstocks readily available.

We were supposed to have a $4.5 billion plastics and petrochemical facility built 5 hours from here, but it has been permanently suspended. It's primary product would have been polypropylene. Canada's incoming single use plastic ban is believed to be a factor in cancelling of this project.

Reactions: woodgeek
I always wondered where worn tire material ended up.
(somewhat ironically from someone (me) who has done more than their fair share of contributing tire dust to the environment.)

I'm a big believer in PLA. I think it could be a very versatile plastic, with the ability to be recycled and is compostable. PLA is derived from lactic acid, which can be derived from plant starches, making feedstocks readily available.

We were supposed to have a $4.5 billion plastics and petrochemical facility built 5 hours from here, but it has been permanently suspended. It's primary product would have been polypropylene. Canada's incoming single use plastic ban is believed to be a factor in cancelling of this project.
Don't 3D printers typically use PLA?

I always wondered where worn tire material ended up.
(somewhat ironically from someone (me) who has done more than their fair share of contributing tire dust to the environment.)

Tire wear is a huge contributor to air and water borne pollution. It's a serious issue. Locally it has been found that an additive in the plastics designed to enhance the tire's characteristics is what is responsible for killing the salmon population. The Nov 2020 study by the Univ of Washington has become a hot topic in the area.

Tire wear is a huge contributor to air and water borne pollution. It's a serious issue. Locally it has been found that an additive in the plastics designed to enhance the tire's characteristics is what is responsible for killing the salmon population. The Nov 2020 study by the Univ of Washington has become a hot topic in the area.
Something really needs to be done, and I love giant sticky summer tires. I wish that my main hobby for my life as a young adult did not turn out to be so dangerous to the environment.

Reactions: semipro
Something really needs to be done, and I love giant sticky summer tires. I wish that my main hobby for my life as a young adult did not turn out to be so dangerous to the environment.
Anti-gravity will help.

Anti-gravity will help.

Certainly more exciting than the electric car racing we have now. I think some of the most entertaining racing will probably come when EV's start being cheap/old enough for Chump Car and 24 hrs of Lemons, especially with swappable batteries. Formula E is incredibly boring compared to ICE racing, but Formula One is boring compared to most other racing as well.