Kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
For years now I have been using the store-bought synthetic , wafer kindling for my wood stoves. I didn't need much as I would keep the stove going without starting or stopping most of the time.
This winter I'm planning on many starts-stops with my Tarm. Question is, how well do the firestrarters work with gasification boilers?
Should I go out and split a bunch of pine now for kindling or will the firestarters work well enough as they did with the wood-stoves?

chuck172 said:
For years now I have been using the store-bought synthetic , wafer kindling for my wood stoves. I didn't need much as I would keep the stove going without starting or stopping most of the time.
This winter I'm planning on many starts-stops with my Tarm. Question is, how well do the firestrarters work with gasification boilers?
Should I go out and split a bunch of pine now for kindling or will the firestarters work well enough as they did with the wood-stoves?

Don't know about firestarters. I use a handful of dried pine or pallet wood each day.

Yeah, its a good time of the year to split a barrel of pine in real skinny slivers for next years kindling.

I also use some pine for kindling. For a firestarter I use a wax paper cup with 1/2" of kerosene.
The cups come in packages of 50 and you can get a lot from a gallon of kero.

I know a guy locally that starts his Tarm 60 with a few sheets of crumpled newspaper, covered with small split kindling, and then he loads the rest of the firebox full - before he lights the fire. One crumpled piece of paper into the lower door starts the whole thing on fire and it is smoke free in 10 minutes. The wood was white birch; I'm not sure what the kindling was. No fire starter needed with the fan to help.

Seems to me that the fan should really help start a fire. Kind-of like a blacksmith forge. I'm planning multiple starts and stops this winter. I'm just so used to throwing in a chunk of firestarter and "wah-la"- flames. I haven't had to use newspaper and kindling in years. I may have to bring outside air in to the boiler. The house is tight and the Tarm will draw more then the quadrafire woodstove.

I use wood scraps accumulated during the year, including some of the split splinters. A very loose criss-cross in the upper fire box of the Tarm (not the lower gasification chamber), don't block off the nozzle, and then use the top-down fire start method. One match, just about fool-proof. Leave the lower door ajar for the start to enhance the bypass draft.Takes about 3 min to get a good blaze going, then add a few smaller splits and let it burn another minute or two, then add wood for the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.