Kirkland Shutdown by Noise Police

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug

Nov 15, 2011
northern Michigan
Just saw it on the news this morning that the city just revoked Kirtland Products operating permit. They have been struggling with the city, ever since they first opened a little over a year ago. The first complaints were about oder polution. Those issues were quickly resolved and the complaints suddenly changed to noise. What do city officials expect when they zone an area industrial ? Maybe if the plant sits idle and nobody pays the taxes for several years, they will rethink their decision. Unfortunately by then it well be too late for Kirtland.

EDIT Corrected spelling of company name. Sorry, can't correct in title.

That sux. Maybe there's some sort of cost effective noise attenuation system they could implement.

I live fairly close to a pellet plant and I can tell you I'm glad I don't live closer. I can hear it clearly in the distance. There are only a couple houses real close to it. One is probably only 500 feet away. Would NOT wanna be that guy.

I'd expect that for sure. If the zoning board approved it and while up and running it was signed off on by the appropriate agency, it's likely gonna be a short battle. Maybe Kirkland changed or added something to the plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.