Kodiak wood stove thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Corycarlo

Sep 21, 2022
Montgomery PA
Wondering what you’d thought the value of this wood stove would be. My parents built a house in the early 80’s and heated all these years with this wood stove. It always heated very nice. I just bought the house from them a little over a year ago and recently ordered a new wood stove to replace it for a longer burn time. This stove has alway been amazing, I’ll be wiping it down and probably putting some stove black on it. The new stove that should be coming tomorrow is the England's Stove Works Englander 32-NC Wood Stove. Hopefully get a long burn and long life as my family has with the Kodiak.

AFC50720-6851-423F-A7CD-F01A65673F43.jpeg

If you want to dress it up, don't use stove black. Instead, steel wool the surface using finer grades for the last pass. Then remove all dust with a tack rag, wipe down with acetone, or alcohol. Then paint it with Stove Brite satin black paint using a few light coats instead of one heavy coat. Do this in a very well-ventilated area. Fixed up the stove may bring about $200-250 during peak season to the right buyer. As is, maybe $150?

Ok thanks, didn’t think it would bring a lot. We already got 40+ years of it heating a house amazingly, so it’s paid for itself for sure! Thanks for the tips!

Take a look at used stove prices in your area on Craig’s list. I’ve seen old steel stoves like that listed for $500+ around here. They’re going to be a hot commodity this Fall with the high fuel prices.

Take a look at used stove prices in your area on Craig’s list. I’ve seen old steel stoves like that listed for $500+ around here. They’re going to be a hot commodity this Fall with the high fuel prices.
That’s a good point! I’ll get it all cleaned up and once the cold starts to hit I’ll list it high and see what offers I get!

Might as well try. I just looked at Craigslist for Williamsport and there are some crazy high prices being asked there. (Jotul 118 for $1995!) I did find one Kodiak, but it's the big double-door model, listed for $475. The smaller Schraders and Timberlines are in the $400 range.