Kozi-heat Princeton-flames only on one side

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newguy09

Jan 5, 2009
Central IN
I have a Kozi-heat Princeton that was installed 2.5 years ago and over the past few days we've noticed that the flames are isolated to the left side of the fireplace only. We are on propane. Few questions.

1) is it safe to operate it like this until we can get it fixed?

2) any suggestions on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

3) I'm thinking that maybe dirt/dust is clogging part of the burner and if we can get that cleaned it would fix it. Does that sound right? Any tips on how to do that?

I would have the burner carefully inspected. It could simply be dirty, but as they have had past issues with the burners cracking between ports or splitting, particularly on LP, it would be a good idea to get it checked out. Burner carries a 10 year warranty, so I would certainly recommend contacting the original dealer for service. AFAIK, they have introduced a more robust version of the burner, to help alleviate the issue.

Reactions: DAKSY
Is it safe to use it if the burner is potentially cracked. It will likely be a week or more before the company can come out and this is the coldest week of the year so far

likely okay to use in the meantime, but you'd want to keep an eye on it, making sure you don't see any signs of an issue anywhere else. Once the burner was inspected and if it were determined to be cracked, well that's more of a gray area. I always default to the fact that if there is gas coming out of where it shouldn't (i.e. the side or bottom of the burner pan), then "NO - do not use it", if the cracks are between ports and it is not too severe of an issue, then you may be okay to continue to use while the part is en route.

DO NOT USE IT! If the gas valve is opening it is letting the full amount of gas out, not just the half of it!!!!!
Where is the rest going if it is not burning?