Kumma VF 100 or Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jnfount

Mar 10, 2022
L@k3Huds0n
I am going between the Kuuma VF and the Drolet Heat commander, or something similar. My biggest question is if the Drolet HC will still operate in a power outage. I know that Kuuma addresses this, but I cannot find a definitive answer on the Drolet. If there is another furnace that is comparable and will work with the power out, please let me know. Thanks!

Here's a similar post from a year ago or so.......he choose the VF100.

Here's his follow-up post/review from this year:

Yes, the furnace can be operated however not with a full fire. Keeping small loads and removing the filter if applicable. In a situation like that, gravity is the best option and others have used heat dumps in the plenum.

As for one or the other it comes down to budget. There is a tax incentive for either woodfurnace which would help offset the price. If you cannot afford the cost of the Kuuma, the Heat Commander is a great option. Below is the excerpt from the manual of the heat commander Screenshot_20220310-191017_Drive.jpg

will work with the power out
They both actively manage the fire, so neither one will work normally with the power out...either the fire will just slowly die down, or with a good load of real dry wood at the beginning of the stage of fire where the furnace goes to "cruise control", the fire might continue to burn pretty hot for a period of time...there are times where that can last an hour or two with a large load before dying down...and the blower will not be running, so you need to make sure you have proper CTC and decent rise on your duct runs so that the (very) hot air can gravity flow as best possible.
If you have long flat duct runs an emergency heat dump would be highly recommended...if there was any companies still making them.

And it seems maybe you have just begun looking...but with steel prices going up every other day (the last I heard steel price quotes were good for 4 hours) I wouldn't dawdle too long to make a decision, as it will only cost even more.

I own a Kuuma, but I have had an opportunity to play with a HC too...the Kuuma is the more refined machine, for sure...the HC might get there in a couple years, maybe. My 2 ¢ (4 with inflation ::-) ) on the matter.

Yes, the furnace can be operated however not with a full fire. Keeping small loads and removing the filter if applicable. In a situation like that, gravity is the best option and others have used heat dumps in the plenum.

As for one or the other it comes down to budget. There is a tax incentive for either woodfurnace which would help offset the price. If you cannot afford the cost of the Kuuma, the Heat Commander is a great option. Below is the excerpt from the manual of the heat commanderView attachment 293363
Awesome! Thank you for the info!

Reactions: laynes69
Here's a similar post from a year ago or so.......he choose the VF100.

Here's his follow-up post/review from this year:
Awesome! Thank you for the info!
As I understand it the HC recommends loading the wood in a crib formation where as the kuuma you load it in a pyramid style which is much easier, also I’m pretty sure the thermostat operates the air damper on the HC unlike kuuma the thermostat only operates the blower which I like better cuz it gives you a steady even burn. However the HC clean out door looks enormous compared to the kuuma and you get the glass door which is a big plus and some other cool features. I’m into my first year with the kuuma an I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Crib loading is not necessary. I don't have the wood to burn crib style (I'm not cutting my wood down), however in mild weather and with shorts or uglies I'll do a crib. The thermostat does assist in the heating demand for the home, however it does not burn full on or off. The fire is still regulated for efficiency. If the Commander has no call for heat, then the blower cycles. It really comes down to what somebody is looking for and budget. Either way, they both will heat.

I have the HC but I can’t comment on the kuuma from what I’ve read though it seems to be the absolute best choice if money is no object. the HC cycles the blower once it’s up to temp I have nothing but good things to say about my HC coming from last year heating with an old wood stove my electric bill in northern Canada was 450$ this year in the coldest months it cut it down to 134$ so that’s a win in my book! Both will heat your home and do it efficiently,1 is slightly better than the other and 1 is slightly cheaper. If I had the budget I would have went with the kuuma but shipping to my location is killer. Anyways welcome! You’ll get lots of great help from people here.

Reactions: sloeffle