Lamppa awarded US patent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reactions: lampmfg and woodey
Congrats guys!! :)

Reactions: lampmfg
Not going to lie - my dad was so proud when showing it to us on Thanksgiving. If you haven't seen a patent in person before, it's pretty neat!

Here's one to share with dad at your Christmas gathering...so we had a family gingerbread house building contest yesterday...I was putting shredded coconut on top my chimney when my wife asked me if that was the smoke...I said nope, this house has a Kuuma furnace, that is just "steam" from the smokeless burn...;lol
For anybody still paying attention...I was declared the winner... ::-)
IMG_20201220_171519572~2.jpg IMG_20201220_171557494~2.jpg

Reactions: lampmfg and woodey
Here's one to share with dad at your Christmas gathering...so we had a family gingerbread house building contest yesterday...I was putting shredded coconut on top my chimney when my wife asked me if that was the smoke...I said nope, this house has a Kuuma furnace, that is just "steam" from the smokeless burn...;lol
View attachment 270018 View attachment 270019
Nice.

What was the prize for your win?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The leftover decorating materials..._g ;lol
Sounds good to me! It's really nice that your family is doing stuff like this, and a nice anecdote about the Kuuma. I've said this before, I'm gonna have to look closely at Kuuma stoves next time I'm in the market.

I also hope the Lamppa boys get a nice payday from a big stove company one day, and they stay on as paid consultants!

Sounds good to me! It's really nice that your family is doing stuff like this, and a nice anecdote about the Kuuma. I've said this before, I'm gonna have to look closely at Kuuma stoves next time I'm in the market.

I also hope the Lamppa boys get a nice payday from a big stove company one day, and they stay on as paid consultants!
That scenario happened locally this year...family owned premium lawnmower/small utility tractor manufacturer (Ventrac) bought up by Toro, family was asked to stay on as local management...

That scenario happened locally this year...family owned premium lawnmower/small utility tractor manufacturer (Ventrac) bought up by Toro, family was asked to stay on as local management...
That's a nice reward for many years of hard work. Nowadays it's tougher to find small local buyers. Not positive that it's a good thing that everything is going to big corporations, but nice for an entrepreneur to have a payout for all thier work.

View attachment 270018 View attachment 270019
It appears you followed the 3-10-2 rule. How is your CTC on that chimney? It looks a little too large (in comparison to the rest of the house) for a Kuuma. I hear they like a small SS chimney best. If the graham cracker flue liner works out, you may want to apply for your own patent!
Congrats on the big win!

Reactions: brenndatomu
How is your CTC on that chimney?
Its got a candy cane liner with coconut insulation, so CTC is all good! And North Pole code is different than here in the states so...
If the graham cracker flue liner works out, you may want to apply for your own patent!
Traditional Elfin flues are always Graham...not known for great flow characteristics, but the extreme cold helps compensate for that...and Graham is not a high combustible either...that all together with the affordable cost makes it continue to be a stocked material
at Knhome Depot, and all the better NP supply houses...
How's that for a derail @andym ?!
::-) ;) ;lol
Sorry @lampmfg ;em

Last edited:
Reactions: andym
Back on track....its great to see a small American business cranking out a cleaner product than the big company up north.

.....and they did it a decade or two ago without being forced to. He did it because he WANTED to, he WANTED the ability to burn wood safely and efficiently. These are the type of innovators and people who should be rewarded for their drive and passion. They also accomplished it without some crazy, ridiculous building of a crib with specific measurements. ;lol Daryl's drive over the past 30 years has benefitted us all. I'm not so sure if Lamppa hadn't proved it could be done with the VF100 you would have seen the big boys in the industry whine and complain and eventually had the standard over-turned. I think with Lamppa getting the VF100 certified early, it made a big difference and showed the world it could be done.

#noexcuses

Last edited:
Reactions: woodey and andym
I'm not so sure if Lamppa hadn't proved it could be done with the VF100 you would have seen the big boys in the industry whine and complain and eventually had the standard over-turned
A real possibility, and some of the "big boys" have whined and complained.

A real possibility, and some of the "big boys" have whined and complained.
I can't blame them. No one likes to have their job made harder. Plus, they know more efficient furnaces require more attention to detail (think dry wood, proper draft, etc) on the consumer end. This in turn leads to a few more unhappy customers. Sloppy users are certainly no fault of the manufacturers. But pause to reflect on how many threads begin with: my new stove isn't burning right, the old one burned this wood no problem and roasted us out..... It will take a generation at least until the general wood burning population all understands what dry wood is. Would you whine if the government disrupted your job with a mandate like that? Oh, wait, Covid-19 already proves this point!

I do applaud the Lamppas for following their personal incentive to build the best furnace possible. As they say: sometimes good is the enemy of best.

Reactions: laynes69
On a side note what great news for the whole industry!

Congress just passed the most significant climate change legislation in a decade and it included the biggest tax relief provision for wood heater EVER. Our credit for 75% efficient heaters starts at 26% in 2021, then 22% in 2022 and 21% in 2023. A big step forward for wind and solar too. BTEC members led the charge on this, despite long odds.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...im5pHer9eN-zBUgrdycbRMiKiPbcByoQC-6xGh3EM1T_g

Last edited:
Reactions: laynes69
I can't blame them. No one likes to have their job made harder. Plus, they know more efficient furnaces require more attention to detail (think dry wood, proper draft, etc) on the consumer end. This in turn leads to a few more unhappy customers. Sloppy users are certainly no fault of the manufacturers. But pause to reflect on how many threads begin with: my new stove isn't burning right, the old one burned this wood no problem and roasted us out..... It will take a generation at least until the general wood burning population all understands what dry wood is. Would you whine if the government disrupted your job with a mandate like that? Oh, wait, Covid-19 already proves this point!

I do applaud the Lamppas for following their personal incentive to build the best furnace possible. As they say: sometimes good is the enemy of best.
The saying is, "Perfect is the enemy of good"- Voltaire. Your version scares me.

I couldn't find details in the links you guys posted. Sounds very interesting!

On a side note what great news for the whole industry!

Congress just passed the most significant climate change legislation in a decade and it included the biggest tax relief provision for wood heater EVER. Our credit for 75% efficient heaters starts at 26% in 2021, then 22% in 2022 and 21% in 2023. A big step forward for wind and solar too. BTEC members led the charge on this, despite long odds.

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...im5pHer9eN-zBUgrdycbRMiKiPbcByoQC-6xGh3EM1T_g
Bumping the above info back to the top...never find a better "sale" than this again I'd bet...