Large hole in bottom of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iamtheskier

Oct 14, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hi, we are trying to convert our fireplace from propane back to wood, previous owners converted to propane. I had bought a container of Rutland Fireplace Patch, thinking I would just have a smallish area to fill, but when I vacuumed out the area I was left with this hole. How do I fix this? Thanks!

20231111_172603.jpg

You may want to have a mason take a look at that. Look for one who has a good reputation for building fireplaces.
Just my 2 cents and a 1st reply.

It looks to me that maybe it has gone through a couple of iterations--if I am seeing the original line of mortar in the stuff just at the shadow line, it look as if that was a purposely cut hole wider than the back course and original--so maybe an old school cast ash door sat in there? (The house I grew up in had one of these--there was an outside cast "door" that you could open (exterior chimney) to collect the ashes after they had been swept out of the fireplace.) BHoller should weigh in though since he is the mason...

Round 2--it was removed and the hole was used bring a wire in for an insert with a powered fan?

They crushed the flue liner to get it in.

Not to mention they didn't insulate it and they didn't put in any insulation or blocking above the wood insert.
The repair suggested would be done by a mason, not a chimney sweep. Sorry about the bad experience, though one lousy installer does not make all professionals bad.

Reactions: all night moe
Looks like an ash pit to me. If you have an ash pit clean out door outside or maybe in the basement then get an ash pit door or put a piece of plate steel over it and use it as an ash pit.

That said i'd be trying to put a woodstove in the fireplace opening if feasible.

Reactions: all night moe
I would normally agree about the wood stove, but we are already planning on installing a Contura Ri50 in a more central location in the house and we do enjoy the crackle of an open fireplace from time to time.

I hear you. I've had a variety of profs working for me, and I work in the construction industry. As a generality, a competent and skilled DIYer will do a better job on their house than a pro that they paid hundreds or thousands of dollars to. Of course there are exceptions, but they are becoming increasingly rare.

My inclination is always to remove any disconnected utility, lest some future owner try to reconnect or re-use it. Don't even get me started on builders who are so lazy as to leave old disconnected knob and tube wiring in the wall after a renovation. I have a little anxiety attack every time I open another wall and find that crap, before confirming it's dead/disconnected.