Large Wood Insert Recomendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rutherfo

Mar 10, 2023
United States
Hello. I am new to the wood insert market and looking to purchase a large wood insert to help bring down my propane heating bills. I have started to focus on the Osburn 3500 and the Hearthstone GMi90. Any thoughts on these two choices? The GMi90 does not seem to be as efficient but it’s a nice looking product And seems to be available. I am up for doing additional research so if there are other models I should consider, pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks - Insert Newcomer.

The big Osburn is a good candidate. In that size range, there are also the Buck 91, Montlake 300, & the PE Summit.

How large of an area will the insert be heating? Are there size or clearance restrictions dictated by the fireplace?

The big Osburn is a good candidate. In that size range, there are also the Buck 91, Montlake 300, & the PE Summit.

How large of an area will the insert be heating? Are there size or clearance restrictions dictated by the fireplace?
The fireplace is 41inches wide by 32.5 inches tall with a slight arc at the top (greater than 32.5). It’s 26 inches deep. I don’t think there are any other clearance restrictions. The heating area is large and open. Unfortunately it’s open above in the family room (two stories) and opens to the kitchen and dinning area 2000 - 3000 square ft . Thanks for the recommendations. I had not been referred to those before and can’t find any reviews on the hearthstone gmi90. It sure if they are just trying to sell what’s in stock.

0A971AAA-C111-4381-93E9-E5CD8FA6BF75.jpeg

The fireplace is 41inches wide by 32.5 inches tall with a slight arc at the top (greater than 32.5). It’s 26 inches deep. I don’t think there are any other clearance restrictions. The heating area is large and open. Unfortunately it’s open above in the family room (two stories) and opens to the kitchen and dinning area 2000 - 3000 square ft . Thanks for the recommendations. I had not been referred to those before and can’t find any reviews on the hearthstone gmi90. It sure if they are just trying to sell what’s in stock.

View attachment 310958
I meant to say I am not sure if they are just trying to sell what is in stock. Thanks again.

That space is large enough that some freestanding stoves would fit in there but the Osburn 3500 is a good choice.

I have a Blaze king AF 25 and a Kuma Alpine LE. I cannot recommend the Kuma enough and the larger one would be the Cascade LE. I was initially looking at Osburn and Drolet to supplement my BK (basement stove) but ended up going with Kuma and I am very pleased with it.