Leak coming down metal chimney // crack in stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ws1511

Nov 6, 2021
Vermont
Hey,

Have two stove/chimney related questions, all help appreciated!

1— Recently relocated to a cabin and we're heating pretty much exclusively with wood. Noticed a leak around the chimney—upstairs, the source was water adhering to the metal chimney. I went up on the roof and it appears there is a slight gap between the chimney and storm collar, and that's where water is coming through. Wondering the best way to fix this — whether some kind of high heat caulk will do it, or putting a second storm collar on top, or something else?

2— The stove itself works well enough but has a decent sized crack in the back. It is an older Jotul 602 model. Intending to fix it with furnace cement, I assume this is the way to go? Have not done this sort of repair before, so thought I would check!

EE9717A8-C499-47B1-A0C0-014568DC0F23.jpeg6BF3B52B-3D31-4CDC-A4FD-D57A21410A85.jpeg

Hey,

Have two stove/chimney related questions, all help appreciated!

1— Recently relocated to a cabin and we're heating pretty much exclusively with wood. Noticed a leak around the chimney—upstairs, the source was water adhering to the metal chimney. I went up on the roof and it appears there is a slight gap between the chimney and storm collar, and that's where water is coming through. Wondering the best way to fix this — whether some kind of high heat caulk will do it, or putting a second storm collar on top, or something else?

2— The stove itself works well enough but has a decent sized crack in the back. It is an older Jotul 602 model. Intending to fix it with furnace cement, I assume this is the way to go? Have not done this sort of repair before, so thought I would check!

View attachment 284936View attachment 284937
Yes you need to caulk the storm collar to stop that leak and you need a cap.

If the stove body is cracked it is not safe to use and furnace cement won't fix that. The stove needs replaced

While you're caulking, I'd also caulk the vertical seam on the pipe. Mine (on an oil furnace) leaked in through the vertical seam.

Be careful on that roof though; don't know where the vertical seam is.

A good quality silicone caulk around the storm collar should make a big difference.

Thanks for input. I'll try some kind of high-heat silicone caulk around the storm collar.

As to the stove, I was not thinking this was severe enough to qualify for a replacement. I've attached some photos of the crack in the back. It's fairly thin and I think could be sealed up easy enough, but maybe I am mistaken?

3FADAA6C-A71A-4F5A-A597-138D87CAD55F.jpeg 152FDBE3-0816-4BB5-9B22-CF35A779C0DB.jpeg AD84B208-1941-4757-889D-E1A7B060ABBA.jpeg

A good silicone like GE Silicone II is rated at 400º. That is sufficient. The adhesive bond to the metal is also important.

I would not run the stove like that but I think it could possibly be fixed. I am guessing the stove is enamel coated? If you can find someone to weld it the enamel would have to be ground off and a hole drilled at the end of the crack. Another option would be to bolt a steel plate over the crack with a a hi temp gasket between it and the stove once again I would drill a hole at the end of the crack.

I would not run the stove like that but I think it could possibly be fixed. I am guessing the stove is enamel coated? If you can find someone to weld it the enamel would have to be ground off and a hole drilled at the end of the crack. Another option would be to bolt a steel plate over the crack with a a hi temp gasket between it and the stove once again I would drill a hole at the end of the crack.
This is a common place for the 602 to crack if it is overfired or if the baffle warps and allows a gap at the rear. I had it happen to our F602 when folk were caretaking our house. This was with a brand new back. :mad: The crack was hairline and not as severe as what is showing. That back shows repeated overfirings. I'd replace the back in this case with a new one. The stove is pretty easy to rebuild.
To protect our stove I bolted in a rear burn plate made of 3/16" steel. That has worked well to protect the back of the stove. I posted a thread on this long ago. Will see if I can dig it up.

Here is the thread:

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey