Leaking fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
? Image doesn't show, at least with Chrome browser.
Likely an Ad blocker is preventing it. Look up Sherry indoor air quality monitor on Amazon.

Outside Air Kit. Its a duct that brings fresh air straight to the stove and keeps dryers and bathroom fans and all that from creating negative pressure around the stove.

Outside Air Kit. Its a duct that brings fresh air straight to the stove and keeps dryers and bathroom fans and all that from creating negative pressure around the stove.
Definitely sounds like a good idea. But are they connected to the firebox (are some stoves designed for that?) of do they discharge the air in close proximity?

It seems to me, if the latter, that having the air outlet just above the top of the stove might work best so there is a degree of heat exchange going on and cold air does not wind up spread around close to the floor.

If installed properly, it is ducted from outside, then comes through the wall and/or floor, and connected to the air intake designed for the kit that is already attached to the stove. The outside vent must be below the intake on the stove so air is always moving up towards the chimney.

It should be about a 3” pipe flange on the back of the stove.

If you have an old stove, it may not be equipped with the factory air intake connector.

House is a bungalow. Top of chimney is about level with peak of adjoining roof, about 12 feet horizontal distance.

If I go outside however, I can often smell smoke at ground level (in calm or no wind conditions). Makes me wonder if smoke is drifting in from outside (maybe in the furnace fresh air intake which is fairly close). Have been thinking of extending the chimney height a bit with a length of 8" heating duct I have on hand to see if any beneficial effect.
That happens sometimes, especially when calm thick fog or rain rolls in. Sometimes when the boiler is off(which is almost always) i can smell a whiff in the basement where some air must be flowing down the boiler's flue into the basement. The woodstove flue and boiler flue are next to each other above the roof peak.

Last edited: