Leaning chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louisiana

Feb 28, 2021
Louisiana
Hoping someone can tell me my options for a leaning chimney. I was wonder could I remove the chimney and replace it with pipe . It has no structural integrity it's actually about to pull the wall out.

Hoping someone can tell me my options for a leaning chimney. I was wonder could I remove the chimney and replace it with pipe . It has no structural integrity it's actually about to pull the wall out.

I removed my masonry chimney and replaced it with a modern class a pipe system and am very happy with the decision.

Do you have a whole fireplace and everything or just a chimney stack?

Do you consider a stack of bricks on the outside of your home to be a valuable architectural asset?

Picture would be invaluable.

Reactions: MAD MARK
It is hard to say without seeing it

I helped a friend about 10 yrs ago remove his masonry chimney and replace it with a class A all fuel for his oil burner, the chimney was pretty well build, the problem was the footing after a pretty severe summer drought, the dry ground settled and the one side of the footing went with it causing the chimney to lean forward. Taking it down was pretty easy, a piece of advice, get some heavy duty tarp to setup up against the house itself, this help protect the siding for any errant pieces that may fall.

Reactions: Highbeam