LED Flashlights? Are they bright enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm in line at Home Dumbo and notice the aluminum body Maglite flashlights they've been selling forever. You know, the ones that take 2 or 3 or 4 big batteries, kinda like what the cops carry. Now they have them with 3-watt LED's instead of the normal bulb they always had. I know the batteries will last a heck of a lot longer with the LED flashlight, but do they put out decent light? This was the 2 D-cell one I was looking at. I need a new flashlight for the truck.

I didn't know maglite mad led models. I bought a maglite bulb replacement off the web awhile ago. I don't think it's three watt, more like 1 or so. I have it in my 2 cell maglite and like it. For whatever reason the batteries don't last more me in the standard configuration even when unused but the led equipped model does. I'm pretty sure it really doesn't put out as much light at the incandescent model but the longevity is quite nice. You might need it for some hours at one point. I think they're pretty good with vibration too.

PS: What I really like is a headlamp. I have an led model with the multiple leds. Maybe a single high cap led would be better-I don't know. But very convenient.

I had a 6 Cell Maglite I used to own for coon hunting a long time ago. That sucker would light half the tree up. The down side was the battery consumption. I own a 2 D Cell flashlight with 2 LED bulbs from Cabella's. It has very good light but its a different kind of light. It seems to have a blueish tint to it. If you take a normal flashlight and the led flashlight and shine them side by side you can see the color difference like night and day. It's not a bad thing it just takes some getting used to. I go through a set of batteries about once a year and I use my flashlight often. When this one takes a digger I'll get another Led flashlight, I like it that much.

led is coming around, they have ones out that will damn near blind you. The problem with mags is the aluminum housing, batteries short out in them and swell up. Good news is there easy to fix. We carry this brand called "shure fire" at work. I have never seen such bright lights, but they top out at $300 so they better be nice......

yeah, I've seen some of these surefire style LED flashlights. They are expensive and usually use a special lithium battery. I like the idea of these maglites using regular D-cells. I guess I shouldjust get one and try it out in the dark.

Love the LEDs. They're great. Definately a technology that is getting better and better. They will eventually dominate the flashlight market. However, I find the distance and color to be different. Not a big deal.

The head lamp (someone mentioned this above) is awesome. You feel like an idiot wearing one, but having both hands to work is a real joy. Great for cooking while camping, working outside at night, etc. Everyone should have one.

As a hiker/mountaineer/bike commuter I swear by LEDs as light sources and I swear by headlamps, they are very very useful for everything from hiking/skiing/climbing at night to working on my car and carpentry. 3Watt LEDs are very bright and I have a bunch of different headlights by Black Diamond and Petzl. But for everyday use, you can easily go find the Everready or inexpensive Walwart brands and they'll do fine. I own a BD Zeniz IQ with a 1W hyperbrite (their name for it) LED with 2 basic LEDs on the side and a BD Icon which has a more powerful 3W LED and 4 basic LEDs on the side. You might also want to look at a Princeton Tec Apex which is also highly respected. I use the Icon for bike commuting now it the dark and it's just as good as my full 32W dual beam (incandescent) Marwi Kamikazis but my Icon is about 30 times lighter in weight. The thing with LEDs is that they need good cooling, a 3W LED puts off a lot of heat which will reduce the life of the bulb, the PT Apex in this fashion is better designed than the BD Icon, however, for non-life theatening matters, the cheap ones you find in the grocery store would suffice. The BD Zenix IQ is about $45-$50.

For general use though, even the basic 5 or 3 LED models like the Petzl Tikka, the PT Aurora, etc are pretty good and very very lightweight.

Jay

I have a couple of three watt LED headlamps made by Princeton Tec.

http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=2&type=1&use=0

They are pretty versatile. You can run the spot or flood lights and either can be run in high and low beam mode. Also have a couple of normal 'D' cell flashlghts and a million candlepower cordless spot light. To me, each has it's own use with pros and cons.

The LED produces a clean, crisp white light - it does seem blue after looking at a 'yellow' incandescent bulb. The 3 watt model puts out a good beam that is good to see 20-30 feet or so. It really seems to blast out the light if your eyes are adjusted to the dark and there is no other ambient light like when camping or hiking. I stick the thing on my bicycle for a nighttime headlamp and have actually had cars flip their bright lights at me.

The way the light is developed is also somewhat unique. It is actually an ultraviolet LED which illuminates a chunk of material doped with phosphor. This converts the UV to a white, visible light. But also means the light is still fairly rich in UV, so fluorescent and retro-reflective materials really glow - almost as if being in a black light. The LED puts out a good amount of light for a long time considering you're only using 4AA batteries, but still has a ways to go if you want a really bright light.

Common D cell flashlights - especially with a halogen bulb - these put out a lot of light, but battery life suffers.

Cordless spot light - That thing seems like it would burn a hole in paper 20 feet away. Very bright beam, but you only get about 12 minutes of ON time before the battery needs charged. So you have to search or run pretty quickly.

Corey

I carry a small led light when hunting. the reason is in case I get lost. The batteries last for a very long time. I have one in every car. the light is bright but not piercing....meaning it doesn't cast very far. I thought the surefire used a differenct type of bulb.

well there not bulbs, there light emmiting diodes. The Led wattage and reflector make a big difference on how the beam is cast. Some led flashlights can focus pretty well.....but to my knowledge, except for quality, there are different styles of led's to do different things. its the power and reflector that make the difference.

I did the MagLite LED conversions and none of them compare to my coast v2 or my surefire lumamax L4. When buying flashlights and torches... You get what you pay for.

I've converted all my MagLites to LED. Different color light, but as good as the original bulb for anything I used them for. Battery savings alone is worth it.

I have a LOT of high quality flashlights. My most recent purchase is a Fenix TK11. Incredibly small, and hilariously bright. It has two modes, normal and "turbo". The light lasts me a week of inspections (about 10 inspections), while my other Mag Chargers, Streamlights and misc. lights last 2 inspections (1 day). The Fenix is really small-almost too small. You wouldn't believe how bright this thing is and it fits in the palm of your hand. The ONLY negative is that I have to remove the battery to charge. The mag chargers and streamlights charge in my truck. Since it has a lithium battery, I think that it would stay charged for a long time if left unused.

I strongly recommend this light. I bought mine on e-bay for about $75

I just checked the Fenix lights out... They look real nice. My work pays for mine so I have to stay with surefire. We have an account with them.

I have a couple 3D LED Mags that I am very happy with.

I have a Sure-Fire 6P led and it is a great light,about 11 hour run time,on 2 lithum batteries, extreemely bright.I carry it to work and about every where I go.If you buy sure fire batteries by the dozen they are cheeper.

I have a 6P LED too. I just upgraded to the L4 LumaMax. the 6P is 85 lumens, and the L4 is 100 lumens.

Home Depot has (4) china LED headlamps in blister pack with batteries (carbon zinc) for $9.97 each. I have several good Princeton tec headlamps for when it really has to work, so I am a big fan of headlamps for work, outdoors rec, cars, etc. I have used them 10 hours in the last week alone just on home use. I am not a china junk fan, but I bought 3 cards of the cheap ones now to have one in every coat pocket, near the front and back doors, one for each car and kids, etc. 36 good alkaline batteries for $15 at HD also. edit: just wanted to clarify, in case there is any doubt, that these are not bright high quality units. They won't replace the good ones in important applications. They are just handy to scatter around at many locations around the house.

Maglite LED conversion bulbs/reflectors and push button switches are by a separate company, Nite Eyes I think, not affiliated with Maglite. But I did see LED origianl Maglites with 2 D cells at HD, so maglite must be in that market. Read the fine print and make sure it is not a clone/copy with similar name.

so much better than the dim yellow flashlights with carbon zinc cells we had on the farm as a kid. never could find one that worked.....

kcj

kevin j said:
Maglite LED conversion bulbs/reflectors and push button switches are by a separate company, Nite Eyes I think, not affiliated with Maglite. But I did see LED origianl Maglites with 2 D cells at HD, so maglite must be in that market. Read the fine print and make sure it is not a clone/copy with similar name.

kcj

Maglite does offer OEM LED flashlights and bulbs (LED's) - they have been for years.

Osram Sylvania has a lot of LED's forthcoming There are LED street lamps "high intensity" and new advances for home lighting that are the correct color temp like nomal incandesant lighting.
You watch incandesant and Compact flouresant will soon be a thing of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.