Let the testing begin !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gweeper64 said:
Wow, great results! Too bad they are so expensive in NE. I'm jealous of the people in Oregon getting them for $189/ton!

Douglas Fir is a softwood, isn't it? I was expecting "fluffier" ash than what's in the pic.

Yes, Its a softwood. A member of the Conifer family. Unfortunatly the ash is sweeped from the stove and all my samples get screened to remove the pellet remains to get as close as possible to the ash weight. Making sure the percentage is as close as I can get it. Ash in the burnpot was fluffy before all the human contact.

If you compare to the last season Cubex results. And the Cubex being about $80 cheaper at present. Probably not worth it. There is a lot of good pellets in our area that are much more economical. But it sure was nice seeing what the West coast burners brag about. I think they would scream at the average pellets we burn in New England with the average ash being about .5 to .6% for us. Some of the Douglas Fir pellets produce as little as .17% ash totals. Love to get my hands on some Bear Mountains. Also hear Atlas and Armstrong make a nice Douglas Fir pellet.

Interesting results. If we ever hear of those others brands in the area ill try to grab them.

j-takeman said:
Gweeper64 said:
Wow, great results! Too bad they are so expensive in NE. I'm jealous of the people in Oregon getting them for $189/ton!

Douglas Fir is a softwood, isn't it? I was expecting "fluffier" ash than what's in the pic.

Yes, Its a softwood. A member of the Conifer family. Unfortunatly the ash is sweeped from the stove and all my samples get screened to remove the pellet remains to get as close as possible to the ash weight. Making sure the percentage is as close as I can get it. Ash in the burnpot was fluffy before all the human contact.

If you compare to the last season Cubex results. And the Cubex being about $80 cheaper at present. Probably not worth it. There is a lot of good pellets in our area that are much more economical. But it sure was nice seeing what the West coast burners brag about. I think they would scream at the average pellets we burn in New England with the average ash being about .5 to .6% for us. Some of the Douglas Fir pellets produce as little as .17% ash totals. Love to get my hands on some Bear Mountains. Also hear Atlas and Armstrong make a nice Douglas Fir pellet.

You know what would be cool, Jay? On your spreadsheets, add a last column/score for "Jay's Pellet Pig rating" on a scale of 1 to 100 which would somehow encapsulate your test results with maybe a little bit of subjective opinion mixed in . You could be the Phantom Gourmet of pellets! :) ("Phantom Gourmet" is an anonymous restaurant critic show in the Boston area and greater New England for those who have never heard of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.