Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kserr

Oct 23, 2008
western Ma
Hi been a pellet burner for 5 seasons now, have a St Croix which is fussy about which pellets it likes. Seems that the Lignetics burn the best in it but this year having a problem with solid clinker in burn pot and black glass. Anybody else having similar problems?

Hi been a pellet burner for 5 seasons now, have a St Croix which is fussy about which pellets it likes. Seems that the Lignetics burn the best in it but this year having a problem with solid clinker in burn pot and black glass. Anybody else having similar problems?
I am not. But mine are softies made here in Idaho so no comparison. I occasionaly get soft build up though.

I've gotten black soot on my glass and clinkers in my stove as well. I'm thinking that is why I've been having so many issues with my stove.

Now burning Instant Heats, no problems other than they're ashy. Good heat, nice burn. Glass gets the normal brown ash on it that wipes right off.

I`m burning em (100% hardwood) in my P-38 and getting plenty of heat but plenty of ash too. I never cleaned the stove as often as I`m doing this year. Dusty buggers they are too. .I pull the buildup of ash off the edge of the burnpot twice daily.
They are OK for the price but unless they are cheap again next year, I`ll look for something else.

In 1991 I bought and installed a Vermont Castings Reliance Pellet Stove here, most every year from then until now I have used Hammer's Premium Hardwood Pellets (lately sold under Statesman name at the local Co-Op) and it loves them.

Once I needed some extras due to a harsh winter, only place that had them was TSC and they were in transparent bags with writing on them, I think that name "Lignetics" was on the bag? I describe the bags in case those were another brand? Those pellets were absolutely horrible in my Vermont Castings stove, the first bag clogged it up as the stove fed them fast trying to get heat. I gave the rest away to a farmer.

In 1991 I bought and installed a Vermont Castings Reliance Pellet Stove here, most every year from then until now I have used Hammer's Premium Hardwood Pellets (lately sold under Statesman name at the local Co-Op) and it loves them.

Once I needed some extras due to a harsh winter, only place that had them was TSC and they were in transparent bags with writing on them, I think that name "Lignetics" was on the bag? I describe the bags in case those were another brand? Those pellets were absolutely horrible in my Vermont Castings stove, the first bag clogged it up as the stove fed them fast trying to get heat. I gave the rest away to a farmer.

Welcome to the Forum. And what a beautiful stove you have.

I believe you are the only current member to have one. Not only where they beautiful, but they were a generation ahead of there time (Think Harman) :)

Would love to see some pics :)

Hi DexterDay,
Thanks for the kind comments!
I built the house in 1990-91 and built a hearth and placed the stove that fall of 91. I got interested in Pellet stoves by a Whitfield dealer, nearest one was 30 miles away. I walked into a Vermont Castings dealer one day with wife and they had this single stove and said they really weren't interested in the pellet market, they preferred wood and coal and gas. They made me a decent deal and I brung her home and this first picture is a crop of Christmas 2003. I still had an older floor model TV in that room .... it dated to 1979, wife and I bought it first year we were married. A buddy has it on a converter and it still works too.

VermontCastingsRelianceatChristmas03close.jpg

This closer picture is a crop of a photo I had taken in 2010, newer table in place of TV, it has a large flat screen HD on it now.

VermontCastingsRelianceclose.jpg

I know the glass is a bit dirty in those pics, it gets like that after a few days, we clean it every couple weeks when the ash pan needs emptying if we can catch a time we can shut down and let it cool. Otherwise, If cold out and we need it, I just scrape off excess ash from burn pot, dump ashes, and go again. I never heard of Harman stoves until I found this site. I was looking as my stove acted up a little a few days ago, over feeding and while waiting for it to cool I was looking. It fed a whole 40 pound bag plus in until whole lower was full and a very lazy fire. I thought a problem but shut stove off and fans ran for near 12 hours as there was still heat ..... burnt the ash down a lot. I then let her cool until cold, cleaned reduced pile of ash out, vacuumed under burn pot, pulled the lower cap on the flue tee outside and ran shop vac hoses up pipe 10 -12 feet and cleaned all of it.
She's running flawlessly since.

I saw a comment about "unreliant" VCstoves .... I've been very pleased. Gonna treat her to a real good cleaning come spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.