LINEAR EXPANSION ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
I've seen these guys put a steel rim on a wooden wagon wheel. They heat it up and slip it on, then quick cool
I guess to keep from burning the wooden wheel any more than necessary ?...Was wondering how much expansion to expect and how to calculate it ?.......any one know about this ?
thanks
rn

I have no idea but whatever you're making sounds cool and I want to see pics.

Used to do it to bearing races on shafts, heat up race, slide it on shaft and once it cools, it isn't coming off.

Last edited:
just got to wondering just how much expansion would result when heating up a piece of steel.....have done the race thing b4 and know it works.
Have to go thru that formula and have a look......thanks.......rn

I deal with this at work frequently, we do rubber molding.
If you put a room temp metal part into a hot mold(300::F) it will expand, and you need have enough clearance so it will not
get stuck.

example:
Take a 3 foot dia (36 in) steel wheel rim, heat it from room temp 75::F to 1000::F how much does it grow?
change in temp 1000::F-75::F=925::F

Thermal Expansion Coefficient of: steel 7.3 (microinch/(in oF)) or 0.0000073 inch

exp.bmp

L = Linear Expansion
L1 = Initial Length
exp1.bmp
= Coefficient of Linear Expansion of the Material
T1 = Initial Temperature
T2 = Final Temperature

0.0000073 inch x 36 in x (1000-75)

0.0000073 inch x 36 in x 925
=.243

So the rim will grow by almost 1/4 in, 36.243

their is a use for all that math!.........that's what I was looking for......thanks......rn

upload_2016-8-12_7-49-19.png

WES999,.......looking at your formula I have a question.......wouldn't the L1 (initial length) be the circumference ?

pardon....... I plugged in the circumference and worked thru only to find your answer....... thanks......rn

handy site.........thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.