Liner question -- oval to round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithwd

Feb 10, 2008
ct
have 6" round pipe to tee with an oval pipe extending 6 feet into the chimney......

I need to extend the liner to the top and insulate....it is installed in the first floor of a raised ranch

should I
1. extend the oval to the top and pour in loose insulation.

2. replace the oval tee with a round tee install a new liner.. and then insulate....

The question is why do you have oval to begin with - what size are your flue tiles?

It was there with an older stove.....6' (code from what they said)......

bought a Jotul OSLO which has significantly different draft requirements

Ok, reread your first post - didn't realize that it only went partially up the chimney. Easy answer, pull it all out - put in a preinsulated 6" round if it will fit.

CarbonNeutral said:
Ok, reread your first post - didn't realize that it only went partially up the chimney. Easy answer, pull it all out - put in a preinsulated 6" round if it will fit.

X2

I have Oslo 500 also.....

should I use a tee with cleanout or bring the 6" directly into the stove.......tee's look as if they might effect the draw capability of the chimney...

Tee for ease of cleanout - don't worry about it affecting the draw

Just to be clear. Is this a stove going into a fireplace opening or a stove being connected to a thimble several feet up on the chimney.

If this is the 6x10 flue, put in rigid, oval, pre-insulated pipe and use an oval to round branch tee designed for this purpose.

Hogwildz said:
CarbonNeutral said:

X2

+1

Is your stove top or rear exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.