Lines to and from storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

free75degrees

Apr 6, 2008
Boston Area
I am getting ready to assemble my copper coil HX and I have a question. I will have 3 or 4 coils of 1/2" copper in parallel and I am wondering what I should use to connect them to the output from the Tarm. I will be hiring a professional to do the bulk of the plumbing, but I do want to get the coil assembly put together with input and output stubs sticking out of the tank that my plumber can connect to. Should they be 3/4", 1", or larger? Should I use copper to get from the Tarm to the tank? The tank is only a few feet away from the Tarm 40, and the tank is 800 gallons unpressurized.

free75degrees said:
I am getting ready to assemble my copper coil HX and I have a question. I will have 3 or 4 coils of 1/2" copper in parallel and I am wondering what I should use to connect them to the output from the Tarm. I will be hiring a professional to do the bulk of the plumbing, but I do want to get the coil assembly put together with input and output stubs sticking out of the tank that my plumber can connect to. Should they be 3/4", 1", or larger? Should I use copper to get from the Tarm to the tank? The tank is only a few feet away from the Tarm 40, and the tank is 800 gallons unpressurized.

I used 3/4" copper, but I only have an EKO 25 with a small circulator. Three 1/2" lines have a bit more cross section than a 3/4" line, so if you're running a bigger circulator you might want to stick with 1" to keep the fluid velocity down.

Status
Not open for further replies.