Lining an older Forester "us stove"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dandawson

Nov 16, 2023
Oklahoma
I have an older Forester model that was installed in our cabin likely in the mid 80's. It has very little use from the previous owners and is in excellent condition. However it does not draft. A local chimney/fireplace company said that it probably won't since it does not have a liner. The quote for the 13' liner alone was about $3500. We are considering just replacing this with a new unit and liner next year. They also said that the insert looked like it was sticking out too far from the chimney due to design of the fireplace... is this worth saving or should we just replace it next year?
1000002147.jpg1000002182.jpg

That install no longer is allowed. No liner and. No floor protection. I would wait and put a new insert with insulated liner.

That install no longer is allowed. No liner and. No floor protection. I would wait and put a new insert with insulated liner.
Yeah I was wondering if I should try to install a liner on this unit and use it or just wait til next year and replace both. Correct on the floor protection. I am going to cut the lvp back and tile in front of the hearth. Thanks for your feedback.