Lithium Tool Batteries - Building Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I was checking up on one of our members and when I went to his website for his radio show I saw this video on the fire he had at his shop caused by a failed rechargeable Lithium Ion battery back in June. He works on EVs for a living and does or did rebuild certain EV batteries yet it was an off the shelf power tool battery that did his shop in. I think a lot of us including myself just plug batteries and leave them in the charger until we need them. I wish he would name the company who made it but expect the insurance company will be filing some legal paperwork. Go to his site and scroll down a bit to his video of the results. I think I see some melted neon green underneath so I have my guess.

Tom has been fighting the good fight for energy efficiency for decades since the first "energy crisis unfortunately I only could catch the radio show when I was over in Maine in my car on Saturday mornings. I have one of his Thermal Storage Tanks in my basement. According to his American Solartechnics site, production and sales are on hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max W and semipro
I've worried a bit about his issue in my small under-house shop and have considered storing and charging all my batteries in a paint cabinet or other fireproof enclosure. I have space challenges though so I'm rolling the dice until then.

I think I'll be reviewing how I handle my lithium tool batteries.

Thanks for the heads up. Just removed a battery from its charger. It’s sad to see the loss and setback for Tom. He has long been educating and helping to solve problems for his listeners and viewers in the most practical and creative ways. I certainly have benefited from his advice and that of professor Dick Hill, no longer with us, on Saturday mornings.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Just came across this. We had the fire on June 5, 2022. Four departments responded. I believe the fire started with a Ryobi 18v charger that was recalled. We did not know of the recall. We also usually always removed batteries from the chargers when we left work. Of course, one Saturday, we didn't. I got the call Sunday afternoon. I think the charger overcharged the battery. It took off like a Roman candle, catching the adjacent collection of touch up paint off. About 200 cans. None were spared.
We also had some polyiso foam catch once the fire barrier was breached. That was smoky but only burned due to the paint fire.

We were lucky no one was injured and we only lost one Prius that was on a lift. Most damage was plastic things melting from the hot smoke.
Acadia Insurance, here in Maine, covered everything to the Max and did not take a deductible. Our losses exceeded our coverage.

So, the good news is after a LONG summer, we are back together. Building was salvageable and had to have the front siding and 1/4 of the roof replaced. I had everything painted with fire retardant paint after replacing damaged areas with spray foam.

This was a freak thing. I have heard of similar losses with other tool company's lithium batteries.
It is a learning curve we got nipped by. Notably, all my lithium EV and hybrid batteries and all the NiMH Prius batteries melted in the fire but did not burn.

It could have been worse. My kids who work with me and I spent a lot of time and lost a lot of business to get back on our feet.
Our tank business has been on hold while we work on a lower cost design.

It could have been worse!

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 8.28.29 PM.png IMG_5729.jpeg IMG_5836.jpeg IMG_5983.jpeg

Good to here no one was hurt and you and the business are recovering.

Reactions: Max W
I think I'll be reviewing how I handle my lithium tool batteries.
I charge all mine inside my house. Finishing the basement renovation I have been thinking about a battery charging/storage area and how it might be constructed. Thinking power tool batteries and possibly whole house battery. Some fire suppression system some external vent.

TomcGlad to hear you are back up and running.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Aside from the safety issues its not good to keep lithium batteries on the charger or stored over 80%. Storing them around a 50% charge and then fully charging them when needed will make them last the longest, same with not discharging them too low either.

I have a few projects with large lithium battery installs an planned installs, all the pro's I run into are of the opinion that they would not allow a lithium based battery in their home (like a powerwall). I cringe when I read posts on amateur solar sites where folks are buying questionable lithium cells most likely rejects that they are assembling and installing them in their basement. There are more than a few people who have had serious fires with homemade batteries.

I have a few projects with large lithium battery installs an planned installs, all the pro's I run into are of the opinion that they would not allow a lithium based battery in their home (like a powerwall). I cringe when I read posts on amateur solar sites where folks are buying questionable lithium cells most likely rejects that they are assembling and installing them in their basement. There are more than a few people who have had serious fires with homemade batteries.
So what kind of containment structure would be adequate for say batteries under 1kwh and this m
Those over? Large batteries seem difficult but those under 1kwh like power tools seems doable. A detached structure seems like the safer(est) solution.

My guess is a steel box with latching cover would be fine for smaller power tool type batteries, but I think most folks who have had major fires end up installing larger batteries in separate shipping container type box or an outdoor shed separated from nearby structures. The 1.6 MW battery on one of my projects had to have a 20 foot wide outdoor space on all four sides and a nearby source of water (fire hydrant). The standard FD approach is set up deluge nozzles on the actual battery and then keep adjacent structures from burning. I think the plan to keep this in place for 36 hours. The approach to the Tesla's lighting up in Florida is sit them in a field with a good buffer around them and have pool of water they can push a burning one into.

Note there are different Lithium Chemistries out there, Tesla is now using a less hazardous chemistry for the new Powerwalls.

Reactions: EbS-P
It makes me think that I should be sending in my tool warranty cards, if not just to get any future recall notices

Reactions: EbS-P