Little late, but finally did season end cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
Yesterday! I usually close it up in May but had to keep burning a few times and then in June was mostly occupied with other projects.

I thought I would find a moist mess in the fire box but it was fine.

Got me to wondering if leaving the firebox covered in ash could actually help keep the moisture off the metal and prevent rust during the hot humid months? Any one try this from experience or laziness?

I would have taken pictures, but I was a dirty, sweaty mess and didn't even want to touch the camera.

On a side note, last fall I started using the Wurth 2000 lube on the motors and the results were very positive. The lube sprays very liquid so it drips into the tight spots and then thickens up a bit to form a thicker, stickier lube gel. The motors ran well.

For the summer, I need to work on getting some bushings for the auger as it was wobbling a bit at times and making noises. I think I read Ken Williams say it was a common thing for Enviros.

Status
Not open for further replies.