Local Craigs list Splitter for Sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
What do you think about the following? Would this be a good deal or am I better off spending another $150 or $200 and getting a new one?

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/2380790514.html

Huskee Log Splitter 25-ton - Honda 5.5 HP Motor

4 years old

No commercial use

Runs great - self contained - can pull behind vehicle.

You can set it up to split wood sitting or standing.

He is asking a premium for something that doesn't look like it has been under a roof since it left the factory. I don't think I'd pay more than 6 or 7 with the current price of a new 22.

first appearances are it looks rough. maybe it works great, though. probably was stored outside without a cover???
there was a splitter for sale locally (2 hrs away) that looked new condition and was asking $800. was a yard machine 25 or 27 ton vert/horz....but someone got it before me

Stored outside, uncovered. Fair amount of surface rust. Pressure and return lines looked slightly "grayed"- UV degradation. From being stored uncovered, outside. I'd pass at the asking price, maybe $500 to account for the fluid swap you'll need to do, and possible new lines. Just my .02

I'd pass. Wood burning season is almost over. People will be unloading splitters from now until September. I waited like this and got a great deal on a used 25 ton Speeco for $435 which was in far better shape than that.

SolarAndWood said:
He is asking a premium for something that doesn't look like it has been under a roof since it left the factory. I don't think I'd pay more than 6 or 7 with the current price of a new 22.

Agree but it is a 25 ton and a honda. Be worth offering that 6-7 for sure. Mine has always started in one pull. If it does not its out of gas.

Tell him $600 is all you got. Always haggle... Everyone has wiggle room. . . Make sure he knows that you got to do a Hyd. fluid and filter swap, Oil change, and pack the wheel bearings in grease. Among a few other things (sharpen wedge, possible new hyd line, etc). So if you can get it for $600-$700. It wouldnt be to bad a deal. Half the price of new. A couple dollars in paint and oil, she would be Brand New "Again".

Given the choice.... Honda over Briggs and Stratton, right?

I am always amazed at people who would buy such a machine and not even throw a $20 tarp over it.
I might offer $500 for it. Depending how the engine runs.

That $50 a day for the I&O isnt bad at all.
Depending on how much you plan to split every year.
If you are ready to go and have some help, a guy can split a lot of wood in a weekend if he gets at it.

I've got about two cords to split right now. I could have a lot more ready to split, plus some help, if I decided to rent one for the weekend.

Attachments

• crazy splitter.jpg
    crazy splitter.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 444
smokinjay said:
Agree but it is a 25 ton and a honda. Be worth offering that 6-7 for sure. Mine has always started in one pull.

That's my thinking as well. Both are nice upgrades from the 22 if the price is right. From a utility standpoint, sitting outside makes no difference to me until the eventual hydraulic shower. My splitter sits outside year round, just not in Houston, not in full sun and in a high dry spot.

Kenster said:
I've got about two cords to split right now. I could have a lot more ready to split, plus some help, if I decided to rent one for the weekend.

I had fully intended to just rent a splitter for a couple days in the spring and fall if needed but, after the second rental session I realized that I was really busting my butt to make every minute of the time I had that machine count....which wears down an ole man like me at the end of the day.

Recently bought the TSC Huskee and now I split at any pace I want....if the splitting starts to feel like a chore I just shut her down and come back a day or 2 later....much nicer! I was holding out for a decent used unit but as you have found people want almsot as much as new! As mentioned, TSC has the 22 ton for $999 and I'm guessing you won't find a splitter that size for less these days???

Kenster said:
What do you think about the following? Would this be a good deal or am I better off spending another $150 or $200 and getting a new one?

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/2380790514.html

Huskee Log Splitter 25-ton - Honda 5.5 HP Motor

4 years old

No commercial use

Runs great - self contained - can pull behind vehicle.

You can set it up to split wood sitting or standing.

Its a no brainer to pass that one up. For a 150 more the piece of mind and some warranty trumps that all to hell and back.

Being it been stored outside uncovered for quite a while,if it was maybe 1/3rd or 1/2 the price of new than I might consider it.Otherwise no,its too close to a new machine with full warranty etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.