Need to pick your brains on a used splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsby

Burning Hunk
Dec 7, 2014
Southern Wisconsin
I'm going to take a look at a used splitter tomorrow after work and wondering if you can give me some words of wisdom on things to look out for when buying used. It's a 27 ton Huskee with a Honda GC series 5.5 hp motor. Not sure of the year but I have a pic so it might give you an idea how old it is. It's being sold at an estate sale business so I won't be able to talk to the previous owner. Hoping you can give me a rough idea on what it might be worth depending on condition. Thanks in advance for any help. huskee.PNG

Last edited:
Look for obvious hydraulic leaks, especially the cylinder. Start it and run the cylinder lock to lock. Most parts on these types of splitters can replaced for a reasonable price. I would say a good deal for that splitter would be around $600-$700.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info, think I'll offer $500 to test their knowledge. I can always go up.

Reactions: claydogg84
They will want $1000 in NJ.

They will want $1000 in NJ.
I'd never pay that much around here for a used splitter since Menards has a Black Friday sale on the 27 ton Dirty Hands splitters every year. My buddy picked one up for $700 last year. If I can't get this one for somewhere between $500 & $600 I'll pass and wait till November.

It looks almost exactly like a Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton splitter without the splitting table.

For cost comparison, last November (Black Friday to be exact) Menards (Midwest home-improvement chain) had the DHT 27-ton splitter on sale for $699 after mail in rebate but the DHT had a B&S engine IIRC. The Honda GC line of engines really doesn't add much of a premium over the B&S engine so I wouldn't give the engine difference much attention...

$500 would be my MAX offer

Reactions: Bigsby
I'd never pay that much around here for a used splitter since Menards has a Black Friday sale on the 27 ton Dirty Hands splitters every year. My buddy picked one up for $700 last year. If I can't get this one for somewhere between $500 & $600 I'll pass and wait till November.
I agree. People pay outrages prices for used splitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.