Local Tractor Supply has doubled up on Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I went by the local tractor supply today, they normally store pellets in one area and this year they have that area full and an entire additional line up pallets. I think they are betting that high fossil fuel costs will drive pellet demand.

Reactions: Ben Wardwell
Probably a smart bet.

Now if we could only convince the manger down here that the need to be stored inside. Like the bag says too!!!!

Now if we could only convince the manger down here that the need to be stored inside. Like the bag says too!!!!
That’s why I watch for when they get their fresh stock in and go grab my supply then before it rains. None of them store them inside.

Reactions: bogieb
They are outside

Although that would be great, as long as they leave the covers on them the pellets should be fine. It is usually damaged bags from fork lift "stabs" or other stocking incidents that ruin pellets. I've stored pellets outside for a couple of years before without any issues. Not my preferred method (because it made the front yard look trashy. But I bought 11 tons back in 2016 when there were massive spring sales at $100/ton. Covered with a tarp and all was good.

Reactions: pinetop12
Cannot afford pellets, I am already splitting trashed particle board furniture and construction waste for the winter.
Don't know the cheap solution for pellet stove owners, maybe leaf shreds or charcoal powder.
We don't know either develop an option if you think you have a viable idea

Most places around Calgary have upped their supply of pellets too from what I’ve seen

I think shredded MDF boards could be a good alternative to pellets. MDF boards have loose ash unlike wood chips and OSB. Loose ash can fall through the holes and slots of the burn pot.
but MDF boards can only be scavenged from broken furniture.
You are talking about particle board not mdf. And you are forgetting about the glues and finishes included. If you think it will work develop a stove and process for burning it. Then get it tested and approved for sale

Reactions: Washed-Up
MDF is a not permitted. The glues used in the manufacture cause emission issues. When I converted a plant in NC to burn biomass, we could burn 10% railroad ties but no plywood, mdf or chipboard. We were near a military base and they were landfilling tons of it per day and we could not use it. Masonite would be different story as it in theory does not uses artificial glue although the surface coatings may be problem. Zilkha biomass uses a Masonite like process to make their biocoal.

yes, it's particle board. The glue is usually urea-formaldehyde. The glue actually helps with the pellets' strength. Finishes are usually melamine polymer.
Yes I am aware of what is used. Good luck getting your fuel approved for use containing those things. Oh that's right just make the stack higher and it doesn't matter right?????

Not a problem, throw in sorbent injection and then a high differential scrubber tower should clean it up. It was a several million hit for the plant we converted and it was not worth it. NC pulled the plug on renewable incentives an few years later and handed it to Duke so it wouldn't have mattered.