Log Carrier Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
I do the macrame, and not just the basic square knot stuff. I do celtic, chinese, japanese, and various other traditional knotting forms and had the brainstorm to make very unique log carriers. Problem is, when its all said and done, if I pay myself minimum wage to make it, you're prolly lookin at close to $50-$80 for a single unit. A decent canvas or cordura one is maybe $30-$35. Anyone here silly enough to want something like that? NOT saying I'm taking orders or anything. There'd still be a good bit of design work to do before I could even start. I just hate that everyone thinks macrame means "plant hangers" and would like to fuel some type of macrame renaissance. Anyone want a $20 beer cozy?

Picture's please.

If you do those poodle toilet paper covers I'm in.;)

th

Reactions: flyingcow
I sure would not want one with the Chinese or Japanese knots as I'm NOT carring wood on my head! LOL

A carrier made of solid material tends to keep wood debris contained.

That was my thinking as well . . . although who knows . . . perhaps a carrier that isn't solid would allow the debris to fall out before getting inside?

If you do those poodle toilet paper covers I'm in.;)

th
this look like knitting...I do not do knitting, similar art, but different. That is adorable though.

That was my thinking as well . . . although who knows . . . perhaps a carrier that isn't solid would allow the debris to fall out before getting inside?

I had a few ideas to deal with this. Initially I thought I could do the whole shebang with knots and then I thought it might be best to use a canvas or cordura cradle and then embelish the thing with knottery, do up the handles in knots and maybe weave knots into the canvas. Like I said, I'm not taking orders just brainstroming the idea. There aren't very many outlets for knot craft these days. You've got your horse tack and saddlery and some fancy whip makers, but beyond that, you don't see much in the way of knots. Backin the 14th-18th century ships would have been covered in macrame, both as decoration and a method of storing cordage without leaving it lying around. I never remember to put pics up, I'm sorry. I'm not doing anything all that unique, so a general search for things like turk's head knots or nantucket bracelet would give you an idea of the things i like to do the most. I can literally tie hundreds of decorative knots, but many are just stoppers, and many are just the core for more complex knots. Carrick bends can be made into plaits (flat mats) just as celtic knots are commonly seen. stringing multiple versions of a particular knot or family of knots make sinnets, and they can look very elaborate, but its just small things comming together to do big things. I wouldn't place what I do in the same veins as say AP's pottery, or other woodworking/metal working, or even workshop fabricating, but its fun. I do have some ideas that might actually have some commercial value, and you may see some of my work soon enough, but I keep expanding my tools (learning more knots) and as that happens my crafts evolve. I suppose thats how it goes.

Hey Craig, you want a turk's head knot tied to the 12 O'clock position of the wheel on your ship? I can do that! Its traditional so you can tell what position your wheel is in when its pitch dark. you lemme know.:)

I can barely tie a granny knot . . . the art of making a good knot continues to elude my simple mind.

Reactions: n6crv
I can barely tie a granny knot . . . the art of making a good knot continues to elude my simple mind.
I'm pretty sure you had to learn some knots to pass Fire 1 ( i know this cuz I work with 4 FFers and assited 1 in learning it). Oddly (or justly, you pick), my shoes come untied like 3 times a day. Go figure.

Why not take your best shot and see if anyone is interested? Then there'd be a product to buy/sell. Most inventors at least come up with a prototype...

(I only had two cents, but now they're yours). :)

Reactions: Delta-T
I suppose I should Dan. If nothing else it will be a curiosity.

"So you say its log carrier eh? I'll be damned, looks a lot like a lobster trap to me".;lol

100_2350.JPG
thats the can cozy I made. its a turks head knot, with 2 pass gaucho weave. 50' of 550 cord was used. its 1 continuous piece. has a diamond knots on the end to keep it together. not the best pic, but you get the idea.

Reactions: n6crv
I'll be damned, looks a lot like a lobster trap to me!

P.S. That is a gorgeous piece of work. Reminds me of the quarterdeck on the USS Forrestal!

Status
Not open for further replies.