Log Length Delivered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Finally had some log length delivered, this should put me one year ahead with what I have in the woods. Most of the wood is beech and hard maple with some cherry,soft maple and some ash. It should come out to be 10-12 face cord.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 100_0402.jpg
    100_0402.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 485
Looks like you're going to have some fun! Enjoy.

Hey Zap, nice load. I gotta ask you, everytime I'm up there (my nephew has a place in Jay) it seems like theres wood everywhere. I never really asked him about cutting wood in the Adirondack Park but I would think it can be done. I was wondering why if all that wood surrounds you, you still need to buy a load???? Just curious.

maxed_out said:
Hey Zap, nice load. I gotta ask you, everytime I'm up there (my nephew has a place in Jay) it seems like theres wood everywhere. I never really asked him about cutting wood in the Adirondack Park but I would think it can be done. I was wondering why if all that wood surrounds you, you still need to buy a load???? Just curious.

The reason is so I would be able to be 1 year ahead, plus most of the wood I have cut and split is cherry. I cut on the side of some good size hills so in the winter it's off limits. This will give me 24 face cord for next year.

The one good thing is we are not in the Adirondack Park and if I had more time and not just a weekend warrior I would never buy a load.

This will also give us more time to spend in the boat this summer.

Zap

Larry said:
Zap, those look like super clean logs. Big plus buying then in the winter.

Yes they are, he was the only one out of 4 companies I called that had more hard maple and beech. Most of the other companies had soft maple and cherry plus he lives about 20 minutes from our house.

He had a widow maker smash his foot last spring and was out of commision all summer, like he said he was lucky to be here.

Zap

how much did it cost? looks like around 250ish$ worth of wood in my area

lexybird said:
how much did it cost? looks like around 250ish$ worth of wood in my area

Up here it's running between 375 - 400.

zap

Zap, if you make kindling, that soft maple is great! The soft maple is also good to put in along with some slower burning wood because it will get the rest of the wood burning. It seasons fast and burns hot yet, it does not burn as fast as one would think. We burn lots of it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, if you make kindling, that soft maple is great! The soft maple is also good to put in along with some slower burning wood because it will get the rest of the wood burning. It seasons fast and burns hot yet, it does not burn as fast as one would think. We burn lots of it.

Thanks Sav, I have so much basswood that I'll use that this year. My neighbor loves the soft maple for kindling.

Zap

Zap, how much wood you typically go thru a year? How often do you have to refill your wood stove each day?

I did an estimate for my nephew (again over in Jay) and if he was to burn 24/7 he'd go thru about 5-6 full cords in his Hampton. his stove seems to burn wood more slowly than ours. However, I'm 200+ miles south of you and we get away with a lot less than that. 2 cords would be a lot down here.

maxed_out said:
Zap, how much wood you typically go thru a year? How often do you have to refill your wood stove each day?

I did an estimate for my nephew (again over in Jay) and if he was to burn 24/7 he'd go thru about 5-6 full cords in his Hampton. his stove seems to burn wood more slowly than ours. However, I'm 200+ miles south of you and we get away with a lot less than that. 2 cords would be a lot down here.

This is our first year with the wood stove plus we also use the pellet stove. Since the install in April of 09 we have burned 8 face cord of cherry and by the end of the week about 2 face cord of hard maple.

Since the heating season started we have burned 8 face cord, 6 Cherry and almost 2 of Hard Maple.

We have both the pellet stove and wood stove in the basement, my plan was not to burn more than 15 face cord. This coming heating season 2010-2011 we plan on burning some basswood and quaking aspen in the shoulder season instead of any good hardwood.

Jay is a beautiful area.

Zap

maxed_out said:
I'm 200+ miles south of you and we get away with a lot less than that. 2 cords would be a lot down here.

It is interesting to see the difference a couple hundred miles can make. Harrisburg, PA is at 3120 HDD so far this year and Massena, NY is at 4682. In my area, 10 miles makes a difference. My house is always 5 - 10 degrees colder than the airport which I assume is due mostly to the 550 ft elevation difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.