Log splitter rattle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DickRussell

Feeling the Heat
Mar 1, 2011
central NH
I have a TSC "County Line" (formerly Speeco) 22-ton splitter. It runs just fine, but for one annoying issue. In horizontal mode, and without load on the wedge, as when I'm fetching another round to drop on the beam, there is a loud and annoying rattle of the wedge assembly on the beam. There is no rattle when the wedge is driven through the wood. I've mostly ignored the noise. Today I noticed that if I just put my hand on the end of the beam and lean a bit, or if a sufficiently heavy round or partial round is on the beam, there is no rattle. This leads me to think that I could hang a weight on the underside flange of the beam (there is a hole there, purpose unknown) or clamp on something perhaps rubbery and sufficiently massive. Has anyone else encountered this problem and addressed it some other way?

I wear ear plugs when splitting and recommend you do so and it is not an issue. If you were getting paid to split your employer would be required to supply and make you wear hearing protection due to the noise coming off the engine typically exceeding hearing protection standards. Its good habit to get into. If you do not like earplugs, ear muffs with bluetooth will let you listen to tunes while you split.

My splitter had a rattle like you are describing
It was the trailer hitch,i removed it as my splitter hasn't moved in 6 years.

My DHT splitter rattled from the day I bought it while vertical. I never bothered to fix it, but seems to be more common than we're lead to believe it sounds like.

I have a TSC "County Line" (formerly Speeco) 22-ton splitter. It runs just fine, but for one annoying issue. In horizontal mode, and without load on the wedge, as when I'm fetching another round to drop on the beam, there is a loud and annoying rattle of the wedge assembly on the beam. There is no rattle when the wedge is driven through the wood. I've mostly ignored the noise. Today I noticed that if I just put my hand on the end of the beam and lean a bit, or if a sufficiently heavy round or partial round is on the beam, there is no rattle. This leads me to think that I could hang a weight on the underside flange of the beam (there is a hole there, purpose unknown) or clamp on something perhaps rubbery and sufficiently massive. Has anyone else encountered this problem and addressed it some other way?
I also have the 22ton TSC splitter. I finally tracked that annoying rattle down to the pivot pin that the beam rotates on. Most of the time
turning the pin a small amount will stop the rattle.

My old TSC Huskee 22-ton developed a rattle after the first 10 cords, or so. It turned out to be the engine mounting bolts had worked loose. They were replaced with better hardware, lock washers and locking nuts, never an issue again.

Then around 15 - 20 cords, it started rattling again. This time it was the Lovejoy connection between the engine and pump. Can't remember the details of that issue, it was several years ago, but I do remember buying a new Lovejoy at one point.

I'd be checking and tightening:

1. Engine mounting hardware
2. Pump mounting hardware
3. Lovejoy

Any other rattle is an insignificant annoyance, unless internal to the engine.

Gas powered splitters vibrate like crazy. Part of the reason I went to electric,
They are unquestionably less Zen than splitting with an axe. The noise of a gas engine idling the pump at 3600 rpm does have a way of putting some anxiety on you, to keep moving with the rounds. Certainly not relaxing, but it is productive.

They are unquestionably less Zen than splitting with an axe. The noise of a gas engine idling the pump at 3600 rpm does have a way of putting some anxiety on you, to keep moving with the rounds. Certainly not relaxing, but it is productive.
My electric whines and that gets annoying sometimes. I would love to have a lower rpm motor and bigger pump, but that's money I can't spend right now just to reduce noise. It is much more pleasant than the fumes/vibration/noise from a gas engine, so I consider it a huge win.

When i am splitting wood the engine noise of a gas engine doesn't even register
I am happily processing BTU's that will keep me warm during the cold.
I find it relaxing to process wood,not much thought required.A good time to relax and stay warm

I find it relaxing to process wood,not much thought required.A good time to relax and stay warm
Don't try it near Philadelphia in July! You'll re-define "warm". ;lol

I really enjoyed my years of splitting with a maul or axe. Unfortunately, a combination of limited time for splitting, age, and required output volume sort of require me to go with a gas-powered splitter.

them rotator cuffs start protesting as you age

Reactions: Ashful
Yup
The first time I has mine don 1080's They cut me open (nice scar) the last time 2yrs ago four little holes.... Well worth the surgery