Long Island Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garth_2022

Apr 6, 2022
new york
This is my first year with my Regency Wood Burning insert. It has a shield (removable) on the top of the unit. I will not do the cleaning myself and worry that the chimney sweep companies know how to sweep a chimney but not a flue for a wood insert. Does anyone on Long Island use a company to clean their flue they can recommend?

This is my first year with my Regency Wood Burning insert. It has a shield (removable) on the top of the unit. I will not do the cleaning myself and worry that the chimney sweep companies know how to sweep a chimney but not a flue for a wood insert. Does anyone on Long Island use a company to clean their flue they can recommend?
Any reputable sweep should know how to clean an insert. Just tell them what you have ahead of time

Any reputable sweep should know how to clean an insert. Just tell them what you have ahead of time
That's just it. I am looking for recommendations for "reputable" in my area. I asked around. No one I know gets the flue swept, as they have regular fireplaces and use it maybe once per year.

Where a bouts? I'm in Brookhaven Town.

I've got a guy, but he comes out of Shirley / Mastic area.

Legit just had someone come to my house yesterday to tell me they can’t clean my regency ci 2700 until I take apart the top to get to the flu. Problem is I don’t know how to.
Did you hand them the manual and say no that's part of your job. Btw the 2700 is extremely easy they shouldn't need a manual

Did you hand them the manual and say no that's part of your job. Btw the 2700 is extremely easy they shouldn't need a manual
I should have. He also told me he can clean it from the insert up but when I read the manual it says on this insert you should go from the top down. I wonder if anyone has cleaned this from the insert. I bought a kit myself was going to do it. Looks like I’ll have to call another company in.

I should have. He also told me he can clean it from the insert up but when I read the manual it says on this insert you should go from the top down. I wonder if anyone has cleaned this from the insert. I bought a kit myself was going to do it. Looks like I’ll have to call another company in.
Yes i have and yes you can easily clean up through the bypass after removing the deflector covering it. Then pull the flame shield and cat and vacuum out behind it

Reactions: Pisano772
Each stove and chimney has it's own best ways to do a cleaning. Either bottom up or top down. Then a few options for each. The first year you could pay for a cleaning and see how they prefer to do it.

My first year the cap screen plugged. The chimney guy cleaned from the bottom up, and didn't resolve the smoke issue. He didn't let on that he knew the screen was plugged. And said he wasn't going on the roof. Of course I had to get on the roof and Mcgiver and method to do a top down cleaning. Which I do every year. So each one sets limits on what what they will do, understandable.

If your going to burn wood, learn to do it yourself. You will sleep better knowing how clean it is.

Reactions: Dix
I used to pay someone to sweep my chimney. Then I got a sooteater and learned how easy it is to do it myself. Takes me about a half hour including cleaning up afterwards.

Yes i have and yes you can easily clean up through the bypass after removing the deflector covering it. Then pull the flame shield and cat and vacuum out behind it
Hey do you know if there is directions on how to clean the regency ci2700. I removed the deflector but I still don’t see access. The manual does not show you anything haha.

Hey do you know if there is directions on how to clean the regency ci2700. I removed the deflector but I still don’t see access. The manual does not show you anything haha.
Did you remove the flame deflector from. Under the bypass? On the top in the back with 4 7/16" bolts? You should be able to clean through the bypass then

Reactions: Pisano772
Did you remove the flame deflector from. Under the bypass? On the top in the back with 4 7/16" bolts? You should be able to clean through the bypass then
Hey I’m sorry one more question haha. Everything worked out great. I noticed that when I opened the bypass I still had this piece covering it. I way able to just slide that back with my hand but is that suppose to be loose like that?
66CB8675-BBD8-40F5-B4FE-E3CA1359DE8C.jpeg

Hey I’m sorry one more question haha. Everything worked out great. I noticed that when I opened the bypass I still had this piece covering it. I way able to just slide that back with my hand but is that suppose to be loose like that?View attachment 308067
Yes it is