Looking at new wood furnaces!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stumbled onto this older conversation. Building another structure so I need another wood furnace. My house has used a Charmaster for 20 years without a hitch. They are out of business even when their product was excellent. It was designed as a wood - gas/oil combination. In my case, our county has a dam with low priced electricity so I decided to install the electric coils myself.

I moved the blower back 5 inches, cut a hole in the side of the furnace and placed the coils in a frame I built, and installed the assembly, then hid it with a cover plate, and built a cover to cover the blower sticking out in the rear. I then installed a dual heat pump thermostat. Using a relay switch, 1st call is for wood heat and it opens the draft door. If the house temp. drops 2 more degrees, the 2nd call then is for the electric coils to activate. The blower runs with either heat source.

This system has worked great for20 years. I start a fire before heading to work (24 hour shift) knowing that the house is warm when I return the next day even after the firewood is gone. As for power failure, I have a back up generator so that keeps it secure. Even then, I have a propane wood stove (my most expensive fuel) as a 3rd backup source. I have 100 acres of timberland so a wood furnace is adequately fed.

Question: I see the Kuuma looks great. I have looked at the Royall's Energy King because it closely resembles the Charmaster I have used for so long and is around $5,500. No comments were made on it as maybe the next best after Kuuma. https://www.royallfurnace.com/
I'm always impressed by people who are knowledgeable enough to build or modify their own systems. I know almost nothing about heating systems, but seem to know more than my local HVAC people (frightening) and need to replace my 2006 Newmac wood/oil combo (I live in Vermont) because the heat exchanger cracked (the oil side is still safe to use). Last week, I purchased a Caddy Advanced wood furnance with ECM motor and it will be installed on January 30. I have to figure out a backup heat source ASAP. I am likely to go with propane because it can be vented directly outdoors. I'm not thrilled about it, but I already use propane for my cook stove. The other option is a ducted heat pump, but I'm suspicious that it would be durable in the one location it could fit and a little suspicious about the sales tactics I've witnessed. This is an expensive endeavor for me, and I'm trying not to burst into tears. Thanks for letting me vent!

Reactions: ctreitzell
As mentioned a bit earlier in this thread, I did have an energy king furnace. Built like a brick S house but man oh man, did it ever eat firewood! Put out the heat but I didn't see any efficiency with it.

Glad I pulled the trigger on the Vapor Fire. Don't think anyone would regret it.

You did fine with the Caddy. They are really good furnaces.

I am always surprised at how you folks out east don't seem to run gas furnaces. Around here every HVAC contractor does gas furnaces, oil burners are clearly the exception. Why are you not thrilled about using propane for backup?

Reactions: ctreitzell
I am always surprised at how you folks out east don't seem to run gas furnaces. Around here every HVAC contractor does gas furnaces, oil burners are clearly the exception. Why are you not thrilled about using propane for backup?

Gas is hard to come by down East ( US or Canada )
no pipelines from the west. Oil is more so available
Where I live in Ontario gas is not available (Farm)
So we heat with wood and to get off oil and
the demands of insurance co. we use expensive
Propane as a backup ( ins thinks it is primary)
I have a wood /propane combination unit. It works well
and the wood side heats this old farmhouse with ease
4 cords a year. Have not bought Propane in 3 years and tanks are still at 60 %

Pro Pain is $1.35 a liter here for bottle refills

What's propane going for in your neck of the woods?
No idea...have oil for backup, and haven't bought anything "fossil fuel" wise (other than gasoline) in many many moons...

I did a little ciphering this morning just because I wanted to answer my own question about why fuel oil is so common in the Northeast.
You guys pay a LOT for LP, I can see why you call if Pro-Pain!
I did a little comparison and it is clear. You get more BTU for your dollar with oil in the NE, but here in the Midwest, it is the opposite.
1704685550223.png

Interesting to do the comparison! It is surprising to me that there is such a discrepancy in LP prices.
My house is heated almost exclusively with firewood. I use LP to backup my wood furnace, hot water, clothes dryer, and heating an outbuilding. I only use about 400 gallons a year so my cost for fossil fuel is minimal, the way I like it!

Last edited:
I did a little ciphering this morning just because I wanted to answer my own question about why fuel oil is so common in the Northeast.
You guys pay a LOT for LP, I can see why you call if Pro-Pain!
I did a little comparison and it is clear. You get more BTU for your dollar with oil in the NE, but here in the Midwest, it is the opposite.
View attachment 322281

Interesting to do the comparison! It is surprising to me that there is such a discrepancy in LP prices.
My house is heated almost exclusively with firewood. I use LP to backup my wood furnace, hot water, clothes dryer, and heating an outbuilding. I only use about 400 gallons a year so my cost for fossil fuel is minimal, the way I like it!
What kind of wood furnace do you have, and what kind of propane furnace do you have? How do you vent these systems?

I've seen the price of propane vary by at least $3 a gallon over the years. I have my own 1,000 gallon tank and use under 100 gallons a year. I've purchased it twice in the last decade, slightly above and below $1 a gallon. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I had to buy it in January, or even in a particular year, or from a particular supplier. It's nice to have 6-900 gallons of backup fuel in the ground in case SHTF.

What kind of wood furnace do you have, and what kind of propane furnace do you have? How do you vent these systems?
Our wood furnace is a 2016 PSG Caddy with 6" metal chimney.
The LP is a Rheem Prestige condensing two stage R96V. Also from 2016.
The gas furnace vents with two 2" PVC pipes that exit through the sill. One is intake and one is the exhaust vent. Because these gas furnaces are so efficient the exhaust is relatively cool and they can vent through PVC. A big advantage if you want to add a wood burner but only have one chimney.
IMG_20240130_063156.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle
Our wood furnace is a 2016 PSG Caddy with 6" metal chimney.
The LP is a Rheem Prestige condensing two stage R96V. Also from 2016.
The gas furnace vents with two 2" PVC pipes that exit through the sill. One is intake and one is the exhaust vent. Because these gas furnaces are so efficient the exhaust is relatively cool and they can vent through PVC. A big advantage if you want to add a wood burner but only have one chimney.
View attachment 324091
Looks like a nice clean setup taking up minimal floor space. How is the ductwork sized and setup?