looking at well used 8 year old p45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly

Dec 27, 2013
rockwood
I am currently looking at a tough looking p45 and it was pulled out of his house and then has been used to heat the shop and its not pretty and could use some loving . I am familiar with p series but have not ever got into a p45 and I know the igniter is not operating on this stove , give me your thought s on the p45s please - are they expensive because of the igniter pump , burn pots , ect - is it just better to stick with the usual pseries and leave them alone . I have found the p series I own have both needed auger bodies replaced due to the burn through close to the pot and I would suspect the p45 might be worse due to the corn burning - is this the case with them or are they a great stove .

PMd a fairly long note

The PC45's are great stoves or my experience at least. If they are bought right and in decent enough shape overall. Bio is your guy on this. He knows them forward and backwards. Igniters are not real expensive to replace. Can't remember about the pumps but even so if needed and the price is right.... The PC45's are fairly easy to work on. Good Luck if you get it. Shop stove a little rough can be fixed up pretty cheaply too.

Just some elbow grease and paint etc; You can make it look like new if you put in a bit of effort. What kind of price tag?

If the price was right I'd buy it, good stoves and very flexible with fuel types. Sounds like you know to look for broken or eroded auger tips as well as auger tube burn through issues.

I used a really old PC45 for years, mainly light it by hand due to broken $350 air pump and $125 igniter. Tried using a huge aquarium air pump with a new igniter once. Real proud of my cheap fix for about 2 days, then igniter burned up! Good lesson there, those igniters need lots of air flow for cooling.

I now have a much newer PC45 with auger tube burn through, exoensive and a PITA to fix. Kind of tarnished my impression of Harman stoves, and trying another brand this winter with great success.

Prescott EXP main floor heater (can't say enough about how i love this stove), P61A in finished basement for really cold cinditions so pipes don't freeze. Propane forced air is back up heat.

St Croix Lancaster corn stove is in small shop, run on pellets.

PC45 and Cab50 have also used as main heater in the past.

Prescott EXP main floor heater (can't say enough about how i love this stove)
I seen numerous good things about the St. Croix stoves. No familiar but several here have been happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.