looking for a defective breckwell p23 control board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theking

Oct 4, 2008
western ma
Hi Folks,

This may sound strange but I'm looking for a defective breckwell p23 control board. I recently bought a brand new p23 and connected an external thermostat to it only to find that I can't keep the stove running on heat setting 1, even with the trim set to max = 1 and 4 setting. The stove simply burns the pellets faster than the heat level one can keep up with. I tried setting the damper to all setting ranges with no luck. I even contacted breckwell tech support, what a joke that was.

Anyhow, back to why I'm looking for a dead control. I am an electrical engineer and design electrnic equipment for a living and figured I would take over the control of the stove with my own microcontroller. To speed this up, I'd like to use a separate control to leave the stock control intact. Anyone recently replace a control and be willing to part with the dead one, please let me know, I'm located in western mass.

As a side note, I developed my own wireless thermostat to control the stove prior to the cold season moving in. I use an off the shelf Honeywell programmable T-stat and added my own wireless link, work pretty sweet, well if only the stove did what it was supposed to do in hi-low mode when there isn't a call for heat :(

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help.

Rgds,

Dan

Call me on Thursday. We can control the world or at least make a Breckwell board that works.

Eric
330-876-0200

Hi eric, and thanks for the info.

again, if anyone has a bad control board they are willing to part with, I'm interested.

Thanks,

Dan

theking said:
bring out your dead

"but I'm not really dead, you know" (from Monty Python & the Holy Grail) :lol: love that flic

Hi,

I have a Breckwell sp23i and am looking for a programmable thermostat to run it, my stove will stay running on the 1+4 low setting, can you explain how you were able to do this wireless and what I need to buy to do it. I already have a standard store bought programmable T-stat that states 750 millivolt but Breckwell says it has to be 250 millivolt-500 millivolt, also i was wondering if this t-stat provides millivoltage or does it just make a closure? I don't want to damage my control board and I can get whatever else I need from a supply house if needed . I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me. Also, it does not have to be wireless, but that sounds like a nice feature.

Thanks,

Smokey

Smokey Magoo said:
Hi,

I have a Breckwell sp23i and am looking for a programmable thermostat to run it, my stove will stay running on the 1+4 low setting, can you explain how you were able to do this wireless and what I need to buy to do it. I already have a standard store bought programmable T-stat that states 750 millivolt but Breckwell says it has to be 250 millivolt-500 millivolt, also i was wondering if this t-stat provides millivoltage or does it just make a closure? I don't want to damage my control board and I can get whatever else I need from a supply house if needed . I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me. Also, it does not have to be wireless, but that sounds like a nice feature.

Thanks,

Smokey

most cases its just an open/closed circuit. ours works the same way and use a millivolt stat as well.

I had the same questions as you before I got started. After looking into it further, I found that any contact closure t'stat should work. You don't have to worry about damaging the control board since I was assured from tech support that contact closure won't damage anything. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide any more info than that since they revealed that the control board was designed by a third party for Breckwell and they don't know the details of the design.

The 250-500 millivolt spec, as best I could determine, is specified to provide a spec for tstat interfaces that require power from the control board to operate. Since a lot of the commercially available t'stats are battery powered, they aren't bound by this spec and should work just fine. I'm using a Honeywell rth-230b with my wireless design and it works perfectly. your thermostat should work just fine wired directly to the control board terminals.

In reference to your questions about my wireless t'stat, I can't help too much since I designed it myself and it doesn't use off the shelf parts aside from the Honeywell t'stat. I design electronic equipment and this was a fun project for me. I have heard, heresay, that the skytech won't work with the breckwells due to the skytech requiring too much power from the tstat terminals mentioned above in the millivolt spec discussion. I can't verify this, someone else can probably answer if it works for them or not on a Breckwell.

I'd be happy to help as best I can if you have any more questions. If you have electronics experience I can provide more info on my wireless version. Also, I finally got my stove to run on low (1 and 4 lights) by fine tuning the damper and finally finding a position that worked so the t'stat is really nice since I can place it anywhere in my house to get the most even heating control.

Rgds,
Dan

Hi,

I have attached an annotated photo of a breckwell controller. It would not feed pellets (drive the auger).

The issue came down to the SPDT switch (on left) and the Q2006R4 power triac (on left). I replaced the power triac with an equivalent Q4006R4 (400 V PIV version of the Q2006R4).

1. the 556 timer (pin 9) was pulsing
2. the LED indicator was flashing on and off at varying duty cycles.
so it came down to the MOC opto-isolator and/or the Q2006R4 power triac.

The Q2006R4 is driven by a MOC3010M Opto-isolator triac and a LM556 timer.

I have not been able to find a replacement switch (I have looked at Jameco, Mouser, DigiKey, etc.).

I believe the original switch is a C&K;7107 J3_ C_ _ B I 2_  (it's the switch on the left).

I am a novice and I am not familiar with the circuit. Annotations are just a guess. I take no responsibility for any of the information.

Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 of these switches or an equivalent?

Thanks.
N. Man

Attachments

• controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 894
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,823
After reviewing your diagrams, I have a question. Does the manual feed work, or is the problem only when the stove should be automatically feeding? When manually feeding pellets, it appears the triac section isn't being used and the auger simply runs from the momentary manual switch. I noticed your other post, and your reference here also that you want to replace the switch but you also changed the triac?? The auto and manual mode work differently fro what I can see. I have a P23 and it works differently than yours, is your stove older?

You are correct. I replaced the fuse, the triac and the root cause thermodisc.

The SPDT momentary directly connects power to the auger motor and does not involve the Triac.

As I stated in my other post. The failure was due to the thermodisc switch breaking off and shorting the yellow / orange leads to ground.

This smoked the fuse and the triac.

Before investigating, I tried to manually drive the auger and this blew the SPDT switch.

To date, I have replaced the thermodisc, the fuse and the triac. Pellet stove is working without SPDT switch (but I don't have manual feed).

I believe I have a switch or two coming in the mail.

N. Man.

Someone was kind enough to provide me with used switches (exact replacement for C&K;switches) and now the controller board is fully functional and working great.

Glad to hear you made out.

Just to be clear, I wasn't directing the Bueller comments at you. I just figured with all of the harsh weather and power problems in the north east that someone might have a defective control board.

thanks,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.