Looking for good chimney choice 4 inch.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zrtmatos

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2012
Connecticut
I am considering a 4 inch chimney for my Lopi Leyden stove. I have decided to put in a horizontal install with a vertical rise to help eliminate any smoke from the stove in case I have a power outage. I am going to a double T, then 5 feet up and out approximately 12" from the house. I am ending with a wedge type cap.
  • Is the Lowes chimney kit by Duravent a good choice or is the Pro series that much better? I understand that one major difference is that the Lowes kit requires silicone to seal. The Pro does not.
  • I got a good online price from an approved Duravent retailer for the Pro line. Will it be warrantied by Duravent if I do the installation? Seems pretty simple.

Pellet Vent from Lowes is ok, Pellet Vent Pro is much better. The pipe is warrantied through a dealer so if there is an issue contact the dealer.

Eric

Pellet Vent from Lowes is ok, Pellet Vent Pro is much better. The pipe is warrantied through a dealer so if there is an issue contact the dealer.

Eric
Eric,
Can you tell me how OK the Lowes kit is? Have you ever installed using silicone? The dealer would be an online merchant. Not sure how a warranty will work.

I stopped using the Pellet Vent right after they came out with Pellet Vent Pro. Why drive the Chevy when the Cadillac is sitting next to it? Yes both will get you to work but I will drive the better model. There is a reason Dura Vent has the Pellet Vent Pro and yes it will cost more $$. As for dealing with an online store you might not get your warranty but you might. Gee I have never sold anything online, right........

Yes use silicone on all joints inside the house.

Eric

Bought my last venting form Dynamite Buys online.
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/

Treated me well. Good service and timely shipping.
Couldn't beat the price.

Call and see if you can get better pricing than online adverts.
---Nailer---

As someone with chitty vent pipe, SPEND THE MONEY on the better stuff. It will save you hours of frustration and trying to find leaks later on down the road. Ask me how I know.... I'm ready to re-do the entire thing.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
As someone with chitty vent pipe, SPEND THE MONEY on the better stuff. It will save you hours of frustration and trying to find leaks later on down the road. Ask me how I know.... I'm ready to re-do the entire thing.
Sorry to hear that briansol. ::P
I am considering the better stuff after hearing from others and am working with someone online now. I am guessing you went with the Lowes type on your install?

I honeslty have no idea what kind it is... the dealer installed it. Sold me a $275 'exhaust pipe kit' and thats all i know. But its cheap, leaks at every connection (my whole pipe should just be made out of rtv at this point. lol), and is a pain in the ass to take apart for cleaning... and then putting in back together- nightmare. I still have cuts form 3 weeks ago on my fingers. It's a once a year "why do i bother with this #@$#@$#@ing thing" potty mouth rant for a solid afternoon. Over what, $50 more?

Every day i wake up, I hate my dealer more and more. I stopped giving them my business a while ago at least.

How much of the chimney do you need to take apart. My old install was just a horizontal out and I vacuumed with my shop vac staright through. Only one piece to remove. Is yours connected with a T on the inside?

There's a T-clean out, but it only opens like 1". and to move the stove, you basically have to un hook the exhaust pipe. Take one piece off, you need to tkae 3 others off too, and then 4 more fall apart......

i'm getting angry just thinking about it. I did my pipe and full component cleaning in october, and i'm not moving the stove until next october to do it again. lol I may even just hire someone next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.