Looking for info and maybe a lower draft plate for a very old Clover potbelly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scrufy

Nov 5, 2022
So cal
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to these but did a lot of reading and inspecting. The unit fires up and warms the whole upstairs of the house great.
The issue is there is a piece I believe broken off the lower draft plate. When fully closed one of the 5 squares is still uncovered on the end. Seems to me the end broke off.
Any info greatly appreciated. The upper round vent works great as well as the flue damper and the chimney.
Wood is all I tried. 5" long pieces of pine and oak. It just seems to burn quickly and I suspect the lower hole open.
Oh, the house was built in 1926 and I inherited it last year. I believe I remember that stove there when I was a kid 60 years ago and it may be original with the house. Only markings is CLOVER spelled out on the lower part.

20221104_225501.jpg 20221104_225510.jpg 20221104_225521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to heat my house with something similar at the beginning of last winter. Those are coal stoves. You will never get that to perform well with wood. We quickly bought a modern secondary burn style stove and difference in efficiency and performance is unreal. The old potbellys burn way way to fast. Just a guess but I would think that 1 open slots is made that way. Not broken off. I still have my coal stove to heat the garage on occasion. But if your serious about using wood heat I would get something else.

Ok thanks for the help.
It's not primary heat. More just to enjoy.
The house has 2 regular fireplaces also as well as central HVAC from 30 years ago remodel.

I haven't opened the wall behind the brick but it's been in use for many, many years and The bricks get warm but never really hot.

Ok thanks for the help.
It's not primary heat. More just to enjoy.
The house has 2 regular fireplaces also as well as central HVAC from 30 years ago remodel.

I haven't opened the wall behind the brick but it's been in use for many, many years and The bricks get warm but never really hot.
Are you familiar with pyrolysis?

I haven't heard that term since school (I'm an Engineer) but yes, thanks.
Thats a good reminder, especially considering how old the house is.

I haven't heard that term since school (I'm an Engineer) but yes, thanks.
Thats a good reminder, especially considering how old the house is.
It is very common to have pyrolysis behind walls like that. It can take many years until it causes an issue