Looking for new easy to maintain stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
My St Croix Afton Bay is 15 years old. The last few years it's really given us a hard time. I'm looking for a new easy maintenance stove. The maintenance on the Afton Bay was horrible with little nooks and crannies that I couldn't figure out. What stoves would you recommend for me to research. We have a small house it's a cape cod and we live in Rhode Island.

I have an Enviro model, which is easy to maintain (the firebox appears to be standard on all models, from what I can tell), though it requires frequent cleanings (every three days, at least). On the other hand, this is our first pellet stove, so take my comment for what it's worth.

People on this forum really like their Harmons, however, and it sounds as though they can go longer between cleanings, so that would be a brand to check out as well.

I have Harmon XXV. Easy to Clean (Daily just Scrape Pot with Scraper, no shutdown needed). 1 Ton Cleaning is Easy. Fans are easy to replace too. Eats anything. Even decomposed pellets (ones who have been wet). Only downside it's pricey. I got mine $3500 with tax (Floor Model).

No matter what anybody says all stoves need maintenance
the frequency may be different and will depend on the pellets used
I can go for 2 weeks at a bag a day with my Enviro but at the end of 2 weeks
there is lots of ash but if burning properly the burn pot is empty
Find a stove you like and then ask about cleaning yearly maintenance
and reliability

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Watch the video's on harmon's site. https://www.harmanstoves.com/Owner-Resources/Use-and-Care-Videos/XXV-Pellet-Stove.aspx Do you care about running it during power outage? I use Aims Inverter with couple of 100ah Batteries. Plan on getting Lithium Batteries when these need replacing. I can get about 12 hours. 1 Battery went 6 hours. Got 2nd one after that. I have Non Inverter Genny and plan on small honda inverter generator for long run time. Run off Propane.

I posted results when I got it new couple years ago. Have had 1 power outage of 8 hours. Most are 4 hours or less. No Smoke in house when power goes out. But like to be prepared.

AIMS Power PICOGLF12W12V120AL Green 1250W Power Inverter Charger with Transfer Switch (12VDC to 120VAC)

Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind AGM SLA DEEP Cycle VRLA Battery 12V 24V 48V

Don't forget Surge Protector. I got this one.
Poweradd 6-Outlet Swivel Power Strip Surge Protector with Dual 3.4A Smart USB Ports, 6-Foot 15A Heavy Duty Cord 1080J Surge Suppressor - UL Listed

Thanks going with a p43!! Can't wait. Install in 2 weeks.
Buy a good quality low ash pellet. Northern Warmth Supreme Douglas Firs should be available in your area. You WILL NOT be sorry! There is a direct correlation between ash/pellet quality and ease of maintenance.

No matter what anybody says all stoves need maintenance
the frequency may be different and will depend on the pellets used
I can go for 2 weeks at a bag a day with my Enviro but at the end of 2 weeks
there is lots of ash but if burning properly the burn pot is empty
Find a stove you like and then ask about cleaning yearly maintenance
and reliability

Plus one. Get lazy on upkeep and they crap the covers.

Going into our 8th heating season with our P43. Runs 24/7 from Nov to April. Shut it down once a month for an hour to give it a cleaning, scrape the burn pot 1-2 times a day. Only have to empty the ash pan when doing the monthly cleaning. Been using Vermont and Supreme Northern Warmth Doug Fir for the past few years, very low ash.

sam

I think you'll like the ease of the P43.

Had a St. Croix Hastings on the main floor of my house. Like you said, it was a good stove but the cleaning EVERY week and the nooks and crannies along with not being able to add a hopper extension had me jumping when I found a slightly used P43 for a great price. I already had the P61a in the basement, so knew exactly what to expect with the P43. I've never regretted replacing the Hastings with the P43.

Reactions: Washed-Up