Looking for opinions on what pellet stove to get (how big)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cory127

Feb 17, 2014
New Hampsire
New to the forum, but looks like a great place for information. I'll cut to the chase . . .

I live in NH and just bought an 8 year old 2600 sqft, 2 story colonial running forced hot air off a propane furnace. I want to install a pellet stove or pellet insert this spring to replace a gas fireplace in my living room. First floor is very open concept. I grew up heating with a wood stove, so the extra work involved in having a pellet stove isn't an issue.

I've mostly been looking at the Harman P68 and Accentra 52i. Went to a few dealers this weekend and got mixed opinions on whether the 52i would heat my whole house. The stove is going in my living room, so I want it to be as quiet as reasonable, but I understand any pellet stove is going to have some noise.

P68 - Pros: Should be able to heat the house without a problem (based on Harman's numbers). Larger hopper and ash pan. Less expensive than the 52i. Cons: Will take up more space in my living room. Less attractive than the 52i.

Accentra 52i - Pros: Looks great. Takes up less room. Should fit in the hole left by the gas fireplace nicely. Cons: More expensive. Cleaning/maintenance seems more difficult. Smaller hopper and ash pan. Is it capable of heating the whole house?

1) Anyone have any experience with the 52i and whether it would heat a house this size? I should be able to move the heat around the house pretty well using just the fan on the furnace.

2) Are there any other makes/models I should be looking into? Pretty much everyone says go with a Harman, but I don't want to get tunnel vision and not look into something that might suit me better.

3) Always open to any other opinions!

Pics showing my setup. The blue painters tape is the approximate footprint of the P68.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_2279.jpgIMG_8447.jpg

In order to answer in the most general way, one needs to know how much propane you were using in years past, and how much actual space you plan to try to heat.

Keep the gas fireplace it would be a great back up if the power went out. A small generator will work for that. A house that size would benefit form a pellet furnace. I would almost say its just plug and play into your existing system and it will also heat the whole house evenly and quietly. Plus you won't have to deal with distribution of the heat with fans and more noise. Also the mess form cleaning and the loading all will be down in the basement. I don't think you want kids around in the processes. Last I looked a pellet furnace cost the around the ball park of some of the more expensive pellet stoves. Here are two examples.

Reactions: cory127
Do you have a basement? If so that's a good option. Would save your gas stove and some room in the family room. My house is very similar to yours. I heat with a Drolet Eco 65 in the basement. Its ducted to the family rooms and heats my entire house.

In order to answer in the most general way, one needs to know how much propane you were using in years past, and how much actual space you plan to try to heat.

The house has approx 2600 sqft of living space. Just bought it in September, so no historical data on propane usage. So far we're averaging 250+ gallons per month, but it's been DAMN cold!

Keep the gas fireplace it would be a great back up if the power went out. A small generator will work for that. A house that size would benefit form a pellet furnace. I would almost say its just plug and play into your existing system and it will also heat the whole house evenly and quietly. Plus you won't have to deal with distribution of the heat with fans and more noise. Also the mess form cleaning and the loading all will be down in the basement. I don't think you want kids around in the processes. Last I looked a pellet furnace cost the around the ball park of some of the more expensive pellet stoves. Here are two examples.

I have a generator for backup in case we lose power. Thought about a pellet furnace, but having lived with a wood stove most of my life, I really like the idea of having that heat source in the living space. Definitely an option, though. Thanks.

If you are going pellet, with that much space, go as big as you can. You still may not get whole house heating but should be able to take a large chunk out of the heating bills. You are looking at a big investment though, but if you look at it as an alternative heating source, to supplement what it will- then should be great. I'd hate to lose the gas fireplace, no other good spot to put a free standing stove?? If so, then P68 seems the most logical way to go, maybe out thru a sidewall?? Good luck.

Do you have a basement? If so that's a good option. Would save your gas stove and some room in the family room. My house is very similar to yours. I heat with a Drolet Eco 65 in the basement. Its ducted to the family rooms and heats my entire house.

Do you run it through your furnace blower and into the house's ducting or did you put vents in the floor? The ceiling in my basement is insulated, so I think I'd have a tough time getting the heat through the house. I think a big part of me really wants the stove in the living space just to have that direct heat source. Had a wood stove in the living room of my last house and I really miss being toasty sitting next to that radiant heat.

New to the forum, but looks like a great place for information. I'll cut to the chase . . .

I live in NH and just bought an 8 year old 2600 sqft, 2 story colonial running forced hot air off a propane furnace. I want to install a pellet stove or pellet insert this spring to replace a gas fireplace in my living room. First floor is very open concept. I grew up heating with a wood stove, so the extra work involved in having a pellet stove isn't an issue.

I've mostly been looking at the Harman P68 and Accentra 52i. Went to a few dealers this weekend and got mixed opinions on whether the 52i would heat my whole house. The stove is going in my living room, so I want it to be as quiet as reasonable, but I understand any pellet stove is going to have some noise.

P68 - Pros: Should be able to heat the house without a problem (based on Harman's numbers). Larger hopper and ash pan. Less expensive than the 52i. Cons: Will take up more space in my living room. Less attractive than the 52i.

Accentra 52i - Pros: Looks great. Takes up less room. Should fit in the hole left by the gas fireplace nicely. Cons: More expensive. Cleaning/maintenance seems more difficult. Smaller hopper and ash pan. Is it capable of heating the whole house?

1) Anyone have any experience with the 52i and whether it would heat a house this size? I should be able to move the heat around the house pretty well using just the fan on the furnace.

2) Are there any other makes/models I should be looking into? Pretty much everyone says go with a Harman, but I don't want to get tunnel vision and not look into something that might suit me better.

3) Always open to any other opinions!

Pics showing my setup. The blue painters tape is the approximate footprint of the P68.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 127828View attachment 127829
I have a p35 I and it heats my 2000sf colonial house no problem last night -7 here in pittsfield nh and keeped my 1st floor 74 degrees and up stairs 67

Do you run it through your furnace blower and into the house's ducting or did you put vents in the floor? The ceiling in my basement is insulated, so I think I'd have a tough time getting the heat through the house. I think a big part of me really wants the stove in the living space just to have that direct heat source. Had a wood stove in the living room of my last house and I really miss being toasty sitting next to that radiant heat.
We did too, want the stove in the living space and some radiant heat. A P68 won't give the full wood stove effect but it will radiate quite a bit. The 52i essentially nothing, it's probably 90% or more convection. We have the P 61 looking for some radiant heat at least and we do get that. Many many pellet stoves you could sit on top of, you can't do that on the P series Harmans. You won't find a cat on it in the morn Ing but you will find them next to it spralled out on the floor.

I have 2000 square feet open concept and with mount Vernon I'm very warm. Get the largest unit you can get.

A pellet furnace has its own blower and taps into the furnace so it uses the existing ductwork.

I have a similar set up to you, although I'm in southeastern PA, not NH. Probably a bit of a temperature difference. My stove is being installed on Friday. Feel free to PM me after that if you'd like some feedback. By the way, I have 2500 sq. ft. open concept colonial. I bought a Harman p52i with the intention of not having to use my propane furnace any longer, except really frigid temps. It is being place in the old propane fireplace box.

I'll probably post some pics and updates as time goes by.

I have a similar set up to you, although I'm in southeastern PA, not NH. Probably a bit of a temperature difference. My stove is being installed on Friday. Feel free to PM me after that if you'd like some feedback. By the way, I have 2500 sq. ft. open concept colonial. I bought a Harman p52i with the intention of not having to use my propane furnace any longer, except really frigid temps. It is being place in the old propane fireplace box.

I'll probably post some pics and updates as time goes by.
I think your intention is pretty right on, time will tell. Good luck, just a couple of days away now !! I would be beside myself with excitement right now.

The house has approx 2600 sqft of living space. Just bought it in September, so no historical data on propane usage. So far we're averaging 250+ gallons per month, but it's been DAMN cold!
Well, a lot depends upon the efficiency of your existing propane heater, but 250 gallons of LP would be about a 2 bag a day habit, or about 3 lbs an hour. Right in the sweet spot of most pellet stoves. I would wager you could get by with a stove in the 45k to 50k btu range, but a lot of people here will recommend the largest stove possible. Based upon your energy use, I think you have a lot of choices, so choose a stove you like.

My stove has Its own duct system. In my situation the duct runs directly upstairs into my family room. I am impressed with the way it heats my house. The basement is not too hot. Just right. And the rest of the heat is where I need it. Main level and upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.