Looking for quality pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JULI-PA

Aug 7, 2008
Milford, PA
I live in North East PA and I need 4 tons of premium pellets. I have a quote of $309 / ton not including delivery doe Cleanfire Pellets. I was wondering if anyone has found a better price on Premium Pellets. I understand Barefoot Pellets burn pretty clean too. I can not find them in my area.

Barefoot Pellets are located in Troy, PA. You can check their website here and send them an email to find a local dealer or maybe you can get them directly from their factory???

Steve

I sent them an email requesting a source in my area or the poosibility of purchasing directly. Thanks for the link. I will let you know what kind of response I get!

lol...I did as well
(in stroudsburg area).

Barefoot sent me the information to contact the Stoves N Stuff in Stroudsburg, PA. They don't open until 10. I am going to see if they offer any delivery options. If their price is right it may be worth renting a truck for a couple hours. I will look into the Balds Eagle Pellets. Does anyone know how hot and clean they burn? Last year I was stuck with four tons of pellets that required weekly scraping and cleaning of my Harmon XXV. The ash pan was filled to the top every week and as you know this is a dirty job keeping it clean.

JULI-PA said:
Barefoot sent me the information to contact the Stoves N Stuff in Stroudsburg, PA. They don't open until 10. I am going to see if they offer any delivery options. If their price is right it may be worth renting a truck for a couple hours. I will look into the Balds Eagle Pellets. Does anyone know how hot and clean they burn? Last year I was stuck with four tons of pellets that required weekly scraping and cleaning of my Harmon XXV. The ash pan was filled to the top every week and as you know this is a dirty job keeping it clean.

They've had the least amount of ash of any brand I have used.

You have used the Bald Eagle Pellets? I notice you have a Harmon stove also. I would rather pay more for the pellets and not have that mess on a weekly basis. The booklet states yo have to clean your stove after every ton of pellets burned. I highly doubt with any brand I will get that lucky but the weekly basis was a bit much! I will look into the Bald Eagle Brand as long as that is the brand you are referring to. THANKS!

Stoves N Stuff in Stroudsburg is getting their shipment of Barefoot Pellets today. They are not selling by the ton. They are selling on a 25 bag per week maximum. Too far away for me to do that. They are located on Route 211 across from Home Depot.

Just an observation on my part since I have never run an xxv but
the ash pan looks small so even running the cleanest burning
pellets I don't think you're going to go very far without having to
at least shut down and empty the ash pan.

Maybe tinkabranc or some of the other xxv owners will chime in
with their experiences on that if they happen upon this thread.

Yes, the ash pan is rather small but, what also happens without weekly cleaning (taking burn pot apart, scraping and shop vac ) the auto thermostat will not restart. The light will blink indicating an error which will be resolved by resetting and cleaning the sensors. I would love to know if anyone else has a way around this. It's not pleasant to awake in the AM with a stove that has not been on for a few hours. I am hoping that changing to something like a cleanfire pellet will at least help. I was also wondering how often they recommend having your chimney professionally cleaned while burning pellets? They did line my chimney with a stainless steel liner.

JULI-PA said:
You have used the Bald Eagle Pellets? I notice you have a Harmon stove also. I would rather pay more for the pellets and not have that mess on a weekly basis. The booklet states yo have to clean your stove after every ton of pellets burned. I highly doubt with any brand I will get that lucky but the weekly basis was a bit much! I will look into the Bald Eagle Brand as long as that is the brand you are referring to. THANKS!

I've used them in the past, but will not be this year due to the location. Fuel prices have made it cost-prohibitive to travel that far to get some and the closest dealer in the area is not selling them to people that didn't buy stoves from him due to the shortages.

I've burned three brands and this is the order I would rank them (not saying that #3 is complete junk)
1. Bald Eagle
2. Hamer's Hot Ones
3. Energex (large amount of ash)

Thanks for the info. I too contacted the closest dealer of the Bald Eagle pellets with the same results. I am seriously considering ordering from PelletSales.Com. They have the Cleanfire Pellets for $359/ton delivered if I order 4 tons. It's difficult to find delivery to Pike County.

I've been able to purchase from them directly in the past b/c they didn't have a dealer in my town. However, due to shortages this year they might have altered their policy. Did you call them?

JULI-PA said:
Last year I was stuck with four tons of pellets that required weekly scraping and cleaning of my Harmon XXV. The ash pan was filled to the top every week and as you know this is a dirty job keeping it clean.

If your ash pan was filled to the top every week, you had some high ash pellets for sure.
I scrape the burnpot on my XXV once a day and vac out the stove once a week to keep it running
at top performance. The manual claims you can go through a ton of pellets before cleaning is necessary
IMO waiting that long is asking for problems.

The longest I have gone without cleaning has been two weeks but the ash pan was still never more
than half full. I have tried four different brands so far and some do create way more ash than others.
Never tried the Bald Eagle ones but I did like the Barefoot.

Thank you for reassuring me that I am not alone in my fanatical cleaning of my Harmon XXV. My ash pan was always full weekly. It was never at the half way point. That is why I have come here, to try and find a reasonable solution to my "high ash" problem.

JULI-PA said:
Has anyone had good results with Cleanfire Wood Pellets?

I believe most people on here have posted good things to say on them.
I know they are the ones I Ordered from pelletsales...and didnt recieve because the damand was high and pelletsales couldnt meet the demand for them.
I ordered 4 tons with out ever trying them out..because of all the positive feedback on here about them

Was it this season that they did not meet your order? I have just ordered 4 tons from them and even went as far as talking to a salesperson on the phone, sent my check out today after researching all of the positive feedback the pellets had received. I will be so disappointed if they tell me that they are not available. They were available online and the salesperson did not dispute their availability.

The one they added ..was added just recently and they wouldnt have added it, I'd imagine, if they couldnt get them.
They appear to have added a different weight skid..those are 1.4 ton skids.

They also now have the awf brand on their which is what they subbed to me.The ash content looked pretty good for the couple of hours I burned them the other nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.