Looking for "The Stove to rule them all."

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

texpat

Apr 9, 2023
Hardwick, VT
Hello all, first post. My username says it all. I moved to Vermont a few months ago from my native Texas. I need help with selecting the right stove for my needs.

I will be installing it in this pictured Rumford Fireplace in an 1870's Victorian home. The surrounds are stone, not wood. As gorgeous as it is, I would rather not modify it for an insert, looking to place a stove in front of it. I will likely have some of the firebricks jackhammered out of the way to install a liner that will be 5.5 inches in diameter and 3 stories tall.

The stove will be close to a doorway leading upstairs to the 2nd floor. I need to heat roughly 2500 sq ft on 3 floors. The 3rd floor isn't crucial, has a separate stairway that can be closed off. Our bedrooms are on the second floor though and I want the heat to reach them.

I have a quote in-hand for a Vermont Castings Encore or a Jotul Oslo F500 V3. The Jotul came in almost $900 more. Given the number of threads here about problems with the Oslo, I am having a hard time finding justification for the price.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. If there's a model/brand of stove I haven't considered, please let me know. We would like to stick to wood-burning, no pellet or gas stoves. To be able to heat our house even if the electricity is out was a deciding factor there.

Given I have zero experience using a wood heating stove, ease of operation is crucial as well.

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20230311_164503336.jpg

Agreed. I would look at other stoves especially Woodstock stoves in VT. Visit them if you have the time. The Ideal Steel or Progress Hybrid could be a good fit. And be sure to let them know the details on the liner.

VIsit Woodstock, get the tour, bring your checkbook and support a business in your new home state.

Hello all, first post. My username says it all. I moved to Vermont a few months ago from my native Texas. I need help with selecting the right stove for my needs.

I will be installing it in this pictured Rumford Fireplace in an 1870's Victorian home. The surrounds are stone, not wood. As gorgeous as it is, I would rather not modify it for an insert, looking to place a stove in front of it. I will likely have some of the firebricks jackhammered out of the way to install a liner that will be 5.5 inches in diameter and 3 stories tall.

The stove will be close to a doorway leading upstairs to the 2nd floor. I need to heat roughly 2500 sq ft on 3 floors. The 3rd floor isn't crucial, has a separate stairway that can be closed off. Our bedrooms are on the second floor though and I want the heat to reach them.

I have a quote in-hand for a Vermont Castings Encore or a Jotul Oslo F500 V3. The Jotul came in almost $900 more. Given the number of threads here about problems with the Oslo, I am having a hard time finding justification for the price.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. If there's a model/brand of stove I haven't considered, please let me know. We would like to stick to wood-burning, no pellet or gas stoves. To be able to heat our house even if the electricity is out was a deciding factor there.

Given I have zero experience using a wood heating stove, ease of operation is crucial as well.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 311912
My choice would absolutely be neither of those stoves

Reactions: cahaak
Wow that was fast, thanks all. Back to the drawing board it seems.

Here's my other issue. I actually had a local shop lined up, paid 1/2 down for the stove/install, only to back out of the job because of my chimney situation. This was after I hired a local guy who is friends with this shop to come inspect and clean the chimney. He volunteered himself to install the liner initially and, in the end, quoted me well over $6000 for just the liner install even though I had the shop lined up to do it for less than 1/4 that price. He promptly admitted to overquoting because he didn't want to do the job, so unprofessional...

I found a shop in NY that didn't seem to be scared away by the job, gave me a very reasonable estimate. I am leaning towards giving them my business and they are a Hearthstone dealer. I'd love to go check out Woodstock, but I am worried about finding someone local to install the stove, do the job properly, and not charge me an insane amount. Perhaps someone knows a guy near me?

Wow that was fast, thanks all. Back to the drawing board it seems.

Here's my other issue. I actually had a local shop lined up, paid 1/2 down for the stove/install, only to back out of the job because of my chimney situation. This was after I hired a local guy who is friends with this shop to come inspect and clean the chimney. He volunteered himself to install the liner initially and, in the end, quoted me well over $6000 for just the liner install even though I had the shop lined up to do it for less than 1/4 that price. He promptly admitted to overquoting because he didn't want to do the job, so unprofessional...

I found a shop in NY that didn't seem to be scared away by the job, gave me a very reasonable estimate. I am leaning towards giving them my business and they are a Hearthstone dealer. I'd love to go check out Woodstock, but I am worried about finding someone local to install the stove, do the job properly, and not charge me an insane amount. Perhaps someone knows a guy near me?
Be really careful of going with the "reasonable quote" this sounds like a more complicated and pretty tall install. Honestly the $6000 honestly isn't all that high. A little bit high but not crazy

What are you planning to do if there isn't enough hearth in front of the stove once it is installed?

oh, and start putting wood up yesterday. Some species need 2 + years dry time before they are ready to burn. Don't trust sellers that their wood is dry.

Reactions: kborndale
My choice would absolutely be neither of those stoves

A Victorian has 10 foot ceilings and a steep, often slate roof. What does 40 feet of mid to heavyweight liner weigh? Is that a lift job?

A Victorian has 10 foot ceilings and a steep, often slate roof. What does 40 feet of mid to heavyweight liner weigh? Is that a lift job?
That would depend on the roof. I typically prefer using a roof setup over a lift but sometimes lifts make more sense. A rough guess on price from me would be $4500 to $5000

What are you planning to do if there isn't enough hearth in front of the stove once it is installed?
Well I'm not too fond of the tile, it is obvious to have been installed later and it doesn't really match the stone at all. I will likely throw down one of those cast iron floor plates to put it on.

Well I'm not too fond of the tile, it is obvious to have been installed later and it doesn't really match the stone at all. I will likely throw down one of those cast iron floor plates to put it on.
Hearth requirements are going to vary by stove but the hearth pad is going to need to be much larger

You nailed it. The quote I received from the shop in NY indicates the use of a lift because of the slate.
A slate roof automatically adds atleast $500 to the job for us. One dropped tool or brick means a really expensive repair.

Self propelled lifts aren’t a cheap rent either. You have the rental rate, plus a drop off/pickup fee.

Tow behinds aren’t bad to rent, but aren’t right for every job.

Make sure that liner is insulated so your flue gasses aren’t cooling off and condensing on the sides of your liner. It could be a creosote issue waiting to happen.

Reactions: texpat
What about the Hearthstone Mansfield stove? The Hearthstone factory is 10 mins from me..
The Mansfield used to be a decent stove but there has been some complaints on recent versions. I had a Hearthstone for 7 years and it did us very well but in this house we are going with Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

Also for everyone, Woodstock is located in NH not VT the last time I spoke to them.

Between the 2, Woodstock would be my choice as well

Jotul F45 or F55 could rear vent. How high is the fireplace opening? You probably will want a damper even with 5.5”. Insist on the insulation.

How does the fireplace room connect to the rest of the first floor and where are the stairs to the second?

The Mansfield used to be a decent stove but there has been some complaints on recent versions. I had a Hearthstone for 7 years and it did us very well but in this house we are going with Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

Also for everyone, Woodstock is located in NH not VT the last time I spoke to them.
Correct I’ve been to their West Lebanon, NH location before.