Looking to buy a spare igniter for my PelPro 130, expensive in Canukistan..I need another source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kenora

Nov 20, 2007
Kenora, Ontario, Canada
I'm running my stove on auto..so it shuts down when it hits the trigger temp (in my case 65f)... then restarts when the temp dips about 3f)... this results in 2ish starts an hour... so 48 starts a day...1400 a month....7000ish for the heating season..... methinks I should get a spare....

1st ................any thoughts?
2nd................any sources with low to no shipping to Canukistan?

Thanks

yup...thanks...shippings the killer

Not so much the shipping,but all the xtra taxes to ship into your country.I can only suggest 2 things,Road Trip down here(or find a friend coming down),or see how much to order one from Home Depot canada,shipped to your house,as they are a PelPro distributor,up there.

Reactions: kenora
Can a US individual send an old friend an extra part or two without a declaration?

Reactions: Mt Bob and kenora
I believe,shipping from the USA,fees are automatically added in,whether you use USPS,UPS or FEDEX,fees set by the Canadian Gov.I had checked before.But,if SSyko has time,he can check.However,if you can match your ignitor up with a China supplier(they are made there anyway)I believe the add on tariffs are different coming from China,and,China subsidies outgoing shipping.

Part of the reason the fast carriers charge so much is that one of the costs of international shipping is expediting a shipment through Customs. After all, speed of delivery is the main reason for using such a carrier in the first place.

The P.O. is slow in comparison, but you could certainly mail a gift ignitor to a friend in Canada. The postage for International Parcel Post would cost a lot less, and gifts are free of duty if the value is under a certain limit, which depends on the country. The P.O. used to publish a table of that information by country; you might be able to find it on the USPS Web site, if you look around a bit.

I just paid around $80 for a spare ignitor, and that might well fall under the limit, these days. Parcel post still has to go through Customs, but I don't know how much attention Customs pays anymore, because most of the shipping volume these days is carried by the fast carriers.

I switched my Amazon account to Canada and didn't see much that was "cheap". But it looked like they use a fairly common ignitor. Do you have any stove shops near you that you can try to cross reference one from? Just a thought. Good luck.