Lopi AGP: HRD Jammed (but not in the usual way?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andrew O

Oct 16, 2019
New Hampshire
Hi All,
I have a Lopi AGP (installed 2015) that's acting up. After failing to light once, I tried again last night with no success. The lower/horizontal auger was rotating, but there were no pellets getting pushed forward. Also heard a slight *click-click-click* noise that sounded a little like a gear skipping against another tooth. Figuring that it was a dreaded pellet jam, I cleaned out the pellets and opened the access plate to look to clear the jam.
That's where things got weird. There wasn't a visible pellet jam. Nor was the HRD even close to being jammed (See attached pic). HOWEVER, the HRD was no rotating. I could see it straining to rotate only to give a slight shutter with ever click.
So, a few questions:
1) Is it possible for an HRD to jam from the bottom where it drops into the auger track?
2) If so, can I just undo that visible bolt and lift the HRD up and clean below? Or do i need to pull the unit out from the fireplace and get at it from behind?
3) The Lopi trouble shooting guide says (in big red letters) not to just put a wrench on that bolt and force it. Any guesses as to why?
4) I get the sense that the HRD motors give out over time, does this just need to be replaced or does this seem repairable?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
Andrew
pellet.jpg